Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sniper61 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2017, 07:45 PM
    Run 220 to garage
    Hello, I need to run electricity to my 40 x 60 foot shop that will have lights, fan refrigerator etc... a 220 air compressor and 2-220 outlets for welding tools etc. It will only be me in my shop at one time but will be coming from my home panel @ 250 feet. What type of wire should I run? Thank you in advance.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 23, 2017, 10:10 PM
    You need to determine the load (amperage) that the shop will need. Trying to figure the size of the cable from your home to the secondary panel at the shop is impossible with the information you have given us.

Is the shop detached from your main residence? If it is, then you need to set up a separate grounding system.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2017, 04:19 AM
    Why not get two or three estimates? Let the electricians tell you what you need...
    If you think you can do this yourself, what size service do you have available? Is this your residence? Your garage so to speak?
    The more you tell us the more accurate the advice...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

220 outlet in my garage [ 3 Answers ]

I hope this helps, the breaker is a double 40 it has 4 wires 3 of which are about 3/8 inch in diameter or so ,sorry unsure what gauge. And the bare ground wire. Note: nothing else on that breaker. The outlet is a 30 amp 125/250 volt4 hole. Again I would like to change this to a 3 wire plug to...

220 4 wire outlet in my garage [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 220 4 wire outlet in my garage that I want to change to a 3 wire 220 outlet to power a welder. How do I do this?

220 4 wire outlet in my garage [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 220 4 wire outlet in my garage that I want to change to a 3 wire 220 outlet to power a welder. How do I do this?

How to run 220 when all I have is 110? [ 5 Answers ]

Central A/C unit went out so I purchased a large window unit to cool a combined open living - dining - kitchen floor plan only to discover that the plug is 220. And of course I have no 220 outlet where I need to put the window unit. I'm assuming that the outlet will need to be replaced in order...

Adding 220 to garage and motor markings [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question about adding 220 to my garage and also some markings on a motor for a metal lathe that will be in there. I have a lathe that is marked on the motor with 115/230 for volts, 60 cyc, phase 1, Amp 37/18.5... from what I gather this might mean it can run on 110 or 220? I'm...

View more questions Search