Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    QQEQQ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2017, 05:56 PM
    Pension problem
    Lets say, a company lay off some of its eligible workforce while retaining the current pension plan. What are the accounting steps for this process? What is the difference between us gaap and ifrs? Can you tell me a key word for this process so I can do my research in the right direction ? I am doing a research paper.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2017, 06:38 PM
    You will have to research GAAP and IFRS yourself after all this is your research

The usual accounting treatment is to identify and quantify the liability. As this is a complex process it may be that an actuarial determination may be required. Once the liability is known a provision or a reserve will be created charging current year earnings, but a further question exists, a provision should already have existed for these liabilities

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If you change your pension into a disability pension does that become marital asset? [ 5 Answers ]

Married 4 years husband became disabled changed his pension into a disability pension am I entitled to the pension? I read that once you change your regular pension while married into a disability pension it becomes a marital asset. We are in the process of getting a divorce, I received a letter...

I am from the UK,now a US citizen,why should my UK pension reduce my US S/S pension [ 0 Answers ]

I worked in England to get the pension,this was before I came to America.I paid into a scheme for this and paid taxes. Thanks. Dennis Lines.

Transfer US Pension to a UK Pension Plan [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a US citizen permanently livng in the UK. I currently have a US pension that I would like to transfer to a UK pension plan. Will the IRS allow me to do that? From what I have read, tax-free transfers are allowed from one qualified plan to another qualified plan, or to an IRA. And according to...

Company pension from same company that I claimed critical illness from - problem? [ 1 Answers ]

I made a claim on critical illnes insurance 3 years ago. Now my company want to set up a company pension scheme with the same insurance company. The problem is that my company do not know about the illness and I don't want them to. Would I be best opting out of the pension scheme or would there be...

401 or state pension 25 year pension [ 1 Answers ]

I always wonder if I had a 401k insteed of a state pension. The period is from: 1969-1994. I received $1,000 a month for life. Have already received $192,600 But what about other scenario. 401K investment plan during the same period. Would it be better, the same, or worst?? ...

View more questions Search