Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kiaromer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 06:22 AM
    F 1 Student - Social Security and Medicare Exemption
    My OPT will be affective as of Jun 07 to Jun 08, is it possible to ask the company that I will be working for not to deduct social security and medicare from my pay to avoid filing for a refund around tax time?

If Yes, is there a website that I can find that states that because my company may not be familiar with the possess and I would want to show them proof.

I plan to continue to work after my OPT is finish, will any of this affect my tax return the following year when my status would change from a student?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 21, 2007, 08:00 AM
    Just make sure that company contacts the IRS to inquire about your visa status. Clearly, as a F-1 visaholder, you are NOT liable for Social Security and Medicare taxes.

It will have NO effect on your tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1-h1 social security and medicare [ 6 Answers ]

I am an indian citizen employed in the usa. My status for 2005 was : Jan-Oct : F1/OPT Oct-Dec : H1 My employer deducted social security and medicare taxes from oct-dec when I was on h1. While filing taxes, my tax consultant told me that since social security and medicare are charged per...

Social Security and Medicare [ 7 Answers ]

Reply to My question The withholding of Social Security and Medicare taxes from the employee is the sole responsibility of the employer. If he fails to do it, the employer becomes responsible to pay both the employer's and the employee's share of the Social Security and Medicare taxes. The...

How to file a claim for a medicare and social security refund for an f1 student [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering how to file a refund for a f1 student for medicare and social security. I keep on finding plenty of info for how the f1 students to file, but how does the employer do it? Thanks

Social security and medicare tax exemption [ 1 Answers ]

Tax Expert, My wife came to the U.S. on Aug. 26 2000, she thought she could be exempted from social security and medicare tax until Aug. 26, 2005, is that correct? Thanks a lot

F1 student for 7 years, now on OPT, should I pay social security & medicare tax? I am [ 2 Answers ]

F1 student for 7 years, now on OPT, should I pay social security & medicare tax? I am from China. My H-1 may be approved for starting this Oct.

View more questions Search