Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Caribhonee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2017, 04:19 PM
    Is it normal to have stress cracks inside your house after having a new roof install?
    We had a new roof installed today and when I got home my husband was furious over the stress cracks in the ceiling and down the wall and the debris that fell inside as a result. Is this the contractors responsibility to fix?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 9, 2017, 04:54 PM
    By "stress cracks" I assume you mean cracks in the wall board or in the taped joints between wall board sections, correct? If so this is not structural, just cosmetic - that's the good news. It's easy to repair - just some spackle and paint touch up. As for who's responsible: check your contract and see what it says. If it's vague or ancillary repairs are not mentioned, you could talk to the roof contractor, but to be honest I doubt that get you anywhere. If I was the contractor I would point out that I didn't inspect the condition of your interior walls prior to doing the work, that cracks in wall board happen all the time and may not have been caused by the roof work (cracks can be caused by house settling, or expansion/contraction with the change of seasons), and I have no responsibility for the integrity of the wall construction. On the other hand, if the "stress cracks" are more significant - structural in nature - you may have good cause to complain and demand repair.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 10, 2017, 10:40 AM
    Its really simple, get 3 contractors to examine and give you free estimates for repair. This will give you an idea of the extent of the damages and a CAUSE(?) in case you have to approach the roofers. Of course you have already talked to the roofers about your concerns right?

Hope your roofer was licensed, bonded, and INSURED.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 10, 2017, 10:52 AM
    What do you mean exactly by new roof?
    New shingles over old shingles?
    New roof 4 x 8 plywood with shingles?
    What kind of walls - old lath and plaster, or wallboard?
    How old is the house?
    Did they use nailguns or hammers?

I tend to side with the roofer, regardless. It isn't their job to inspect your house other than the integrity of the roof.

I have a dim memory of this happening around 1985 to a house built in 1918. Very professional roofer, but the plaster ceilings grew some cracks and sags. Our problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roof drain leaking inside house [ 5 Answers ]

I have a flat roof on the back of my house.Every time it gets cold(below 20degrees) I have been getting a leak in two parts of the house.I finally cut a hole in one of the areas and found the drain pipe runs horizontally through the ceiling.In the one area the pipe is coming down from the roof to...

Cracks in drywall of 20 year old house normal? [ 4 Answers ]

My house is about 22 years old and I have been finding a few cracks in my drywall. Does this mean I have foundation problems? We have lived here for 10 years and I have found about 5 so far. I have also found a few cracks in the basement ceiling.

My roof has a layer of ice building on the inside of the roof,I'm wondering why? [ 3 Answers ]

Weeks.would love to here if this has happin to anyone.. I am new to this fourm...

Are drywall cracks in arched doorways normal? How much is normal? [ 3 Answers ]

I have large, arched, drywall covered openings in my livingroom and dining areas. Some of them are showing cracks along drywall tape seams. The house is about 5 years old. My question is, how much is normal? Thanks!

How many cracks are normal in a new house? [ 2 Answers ]

My house is 5 years old and 98% of all my door casings are separating at the both corners- several of the windows are separating and the fire place is also separating - by separating I mean there is now a small gap. I am worried that the house may have a structural issue.

View more questions Search