Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jk509 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2017, 01:13 AM
    Legal an illegal serches
    A warrant for my arrest was issued for non complicate while on federal probation I was then arrest while driving. Do they (cops) have the right to search the car I'm driving even though its not in my name
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 9, 2017, 03:44 AM
    Yes. Same with someone else's home.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2017, 02:57 PM
    That would be a great loophole wouldn't it! Make sure when you are on probation and with an arrest warrant you drive someone else's car?? Any suspicion and they have the right to search, particularly if they suspect drugs or if a dog alerts.

"Offenders are generally required to submit a monthly supervision report within the first five days of the month to the U.S. Probation office. The report asks about employment; vehicles; finances (including bank accounts, past due debts, cash inflows and outflows, major expenditures, post office boxes, safe deposit boxes, and storage units); questionings by law enforcement; arrests; dispositions of charges; contacts with others who have criminal records; firearm possession and/or access; illegal drug use and/or possession; travel outside the probation district; special assessments, restitution, and fine balances and payments; community service obligations and hours completed, missed, and remaining; and drug, alcohol, and mental health aftercare and any sessions missed. It is a class D felony to make a false statement on this report. 18 U.S.C. § 1001"
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 9, 2017, 06:31 PM
    IF you are on probation, with permission of probation, they can search any house you are in or any car you are in.
    When they do an arrest, often they impound the car. When they impound, they do not "search" they inventory the car, so that everything you have is accounted for. Now during this inventory, if they find anything illegal, it is considered in plain sight, since it was found during the inventory process, not being searched.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2017, 03:36 PM
    Hello jk:

While on probation, your 4th Amendment rights are severely curtailed.. Therefore, IMHO they had the right to search the car you were driving, no matter WHO owned it.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Asking about Children-Legal or Illegal? [ 2 Answers ]

I currently work PT (3 days/week) from home, and go into the office PT (2 days/week) in MN. I will be having a third child and put in a request to work 100% remotely. I work in an office that many people work part time or full time remotely, so this is common. My director does not have an issue...

Is it illegal or legal to resell toys? [ 13 Answers ]

Dear Attorney, Hi I'm Byon. I'm trying to fund-raise for my high school by indirectly reselling toys. Indirectly meaning: I will add some LED into the toy and resell it for a higher price. Is this illegal or legal? If its not, in which code of law does it say I can resell toys on my condition? ...

Legal or illegal? [ 4 Answers ]

Is it illegal for a 28 yr old to date a 17 yr old in the state of Texas?

Legal or illegal [ 6 Answers ]

It was the summer of July 05 and someone was driving past a house saw that the door was open they called the police.The police came inside the house and just saw boxes and 2 mattresses because the people just moved in.It was a huge house with 18 bedrooms and they called backup.They entered the...

View more questions Search