Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BUBBAD Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2004, 10:01 PM
    pci slot & video card
    I have received a new video card - Gforce fX 5200. It is a PCI version. Looking at the unopened box I found NO requirements. After opening it and reading the users guide I find: "If you have a PCI CARD, you will insert it into an available white PCI 2.1 or above compliant slot."

My computer is a 5 year old DELL DIMENSION XPS T550, PENT III, 640Megs RAM. PC WIZARD says this about the computer:

General Information :
    Number of PCI Bus : 2
    Number of PCI Connectors : 3
    Frequency : 33 MHz
    Multiplier : 1/3x

General Features :
    Support Mechanism 1 : Yes
    Support Mechanism 2 : No

Bus Information #0 :
    Device : 82443BX/ZX 440BX/ZX CPU to PCI Bridge (AGP Implemented)
    Device : 82443BX/ZX 440BX/ZX PCI to AGP Bridge
    Device : 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4/E/M ISA Bridge
    Device : 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4/E/M EIDE Controller
    Device : 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4/E/M USB Controller
    Device : 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4/E/M Power Management Controller
    Device : AIC-7861 AHA-2940AU PCI SCSI Controller
    Device : uPD9210/72010xx USB Open Host Controller
    Device : uPD9210/72010xx USB Open Host Controller
    Device : uPD720100A/101 USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
    Device : EMU10K1 Audio Chipset (SB Live!)
    Device : PCI Gameport
    Device : HCF 56k Data/Fax/Voice/Spkp Modem

Bus Information #1 :
    Device : Riva TNT GUI+3D Accelerator [NV4]

Questions: What do I have?
    Can this card be used in this computer?
    Is it a paper weight?
    Will Kerry be... ooops! :)

Thanks in advance for your kind help for this old man.

Nocna_Ptica Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2004, 08:02 AM
    Re: pci slot & video card
    Are you sure that youe Graphic card is PCI version?
    PCI version of graphic cards are very old.
    My friend have that one and it's goes on AGP slot.
    Newer version of AGP slot is PCI Express, but I don't think that that cards goes on PCI Express.
    With your card you should get a driver and user manual, that's all you need.
    Your card can be used on tour computer.
    My advice: You should go to store where you buy that card and ask him about it.
    BUBBAD Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2004, 09:17 PM
    This is definitely a PCI card. The box, manual, label on the card identifies it as such as does the catalog.

I installed the card with the instructions given. When I turned the power on I got one long and two short beeps and a black screen. I changed the PCI cards about and got the same results so the card is seating and the slots are good. So I called eVGA.com tech support and the rep had me switch the cards around again... same story. He said bad card and I should take ti back to the store and exchange. I did this. THEN I found the "requirements" on this box that had been hidden on the first one by a store label... requires a 300W power supply. The computer has a 200W supply.

I have not opened this box yet... what is the suggestion now?

Thanks for the reply.

Dd
    ecborg Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2004, 09:49 PM
    re: pci slot & video card
    It looks like from the PC Wizard system config dump that you still have the Riva TNT GUI+3D Accelerator [NV4] AGP video graphics card plugged in to your systems AGP x2 expansion slot.

If this is indeed the case, all you need to do is
    1.) Shutdown your computer.
    2.) Remove the power cable from your systems power supply.
    3.) Open your computer system case.
    4.) Remove the video card from your AGP slot.
    5.) Install your eVGA FX 5200 video card in to an available PCI expansion slot.
    6.) Close your computer case and power-on your computer.
    7.) Install the FX 5200 video graphics cards device drivers using the installer application on the CD that eVGA shipped with the video card.

You should be in business.

In the case that your system still is unable to power its self up with the FX 5200 video card installed you can always replace your systems 200W ATX12V power supply with a more powerful 300W or even 350W ATX12V power supply.

You can get a 300W to 350W ATX12V power supply for as cheap as $30 (USD) from any online computer parts supply retail store.

-ecborg
    ecborg Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2004, 10:00 PM
    FYI - The POST beeps of one long followed to short beeps that you mention hearing when booting up your system with the FX 5200 PC video graphics mean that the "power on system test" could not detect a video card connected to the system.

Link to the Dell Dimension user manual POST beep code descriptions:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...b/codemess.htm
    timmorgan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2005, 07:48 PM
    Resolution
    A little late for this guy probably, but I found by trial and error how to resolve this issue... For this particular machine (and probably other similar Dimension models), the PCI graphics card must be in the first PCI slot. If it's in any other PCI slot, you'll get the beep followed by two short beeps indicating no graphics card found. Hope this helps someone else needing this answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Video card problems [ 1 Answers ]

When I get into game play on Call of Duty and other war games my graphics have lines going in all directions to the extent that it is impossible to see the action. Is this a video card problem or something else. I also have noticed that when I click on the start button my programs box is very slow...

Old Video card prob [ 4 Answers ]

I have an old video card (Had to resurrect my old PC) an ATI Rage/Rage II PCI (ati_m64) and I can't seem to find the right driver for it... is there one out there and if so, where can I get it

Do I have to uninstall my video card? [ 10 Answers ]

A few months back I purchased Doom 3, as an interim game to play while waiting for the release of Half Life 2. My Compaq Presario's onboard video card handled the game with no problems. When Half Life 2 was released, I purchased it and installed it, only to find that my onboard video card...

Video card [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, The problem is that I can't get anymore than 16 colors. I have purchased two different VGA card with cd holding the software (drivers). Here's my PC info please help Thanks .

Help with video card [ 1 Answers ]

I was given an older pc. I had to reformat and now I'm having problems with the display. From what I can see, my video card is a 3D-FX. How can I find which version and where can I find the drivers for it. Operating Win95.

View more questions Search