Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Mar 3, 2017, 04:30 PM
    How Close Can We Come To The Electrical Panel??
    Have some Old Kitchen Cupboards from a Recent Kitchen Reno.. We've installed some above the Washer & Dryer.. On the Left Facing Wall we have the Electrical Panel placed Horizontally into the Corner.. We have one Cabinet left which would bring us to 11" from the Panel.. Still plenty of access & manounerability to the Panel.. My Question is, after installing the last cabinet.. Being 11" from the Panel, Is that to Close? Thoughts Appreciated, Cheers Thanks...
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2017, 06:30 PM
    36" to front of panel and space panel is in must be at least 30" wide. Panel can be right at the wall, does not have to be centered, but space must be 30" wide. So, 11" plus panel width is? I think you are too close. This is US code, Canadian might be different.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2017, 10:15 AM
    If Panel is placed Horizontally, You can only use half of the Breakers that have UP being On, The Breakers that are down when On are not allowed.
    This is last I knew, maybe code has changed? Good Luck
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2017, 05:33 AM
    Strat,
    Mounting a panel sideways is common practice in Canada
    where Norplan is located.
    If there is a concern with the panel location, why not contact the local inspector?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2017, 08:20 AM
    Is there a code there that allows, or doesn't allow Breakers to be Down for on? Just curious. Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The house main electrical panel is 200-amp.I want o add a 100-amp sub panel (for gene [ 3 Answers ]

The house main electrical panel is 200-amp.I want o add a 100-amp sub panel (for generator),can I put a 100-amp breaker to the main panel I order to feed the sub panel.on the sub panel I am not adding new breakers ,I just moving them there from the main panel.

How close can a wall be to an electrical load center? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm wanting to build a wall perpendicular to a wall having a load center on it. How close can that wall come to the edge of that load center?

Blowing 60 amp cartridge fuses panel is connected to a electrical panel not tripping [ 2 Answers ]

The main electrical source is connected to the cartridge panel which is then connected to the main breaker box. This has been set up for the past three years no problems. In the last two days the 60 amp cartridge fuse on the left side keeps blowing. What could be causing the problem?

Electrical Service Upgrade w/ second panel vs larger single panel [ 5 Answers ]

Bought a house recently that had the fuse box replaced with a panel that appears to be rated at 60 amps. Was planning to remodel the kitchen and add heat lamps to the baths, and as a result I need to upgrade to a higher amp service. An electrician looked at things and said he would have to update...

Connecting Main Electrical Panel to a sub-panel [ 1 Answers ]

Is it OK to use SO portable cable to connect from a Main Panel to a new Sub-panel? Or do you have to use a non-flexible conduit?

View more questions Search