Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    4godisgr8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2017, 04:10 PM
    How to account for theft of revenue in QuickBooks?
    My rental property company books are entered on an accrual basis, with monthly revenues of about $25,000. I was told that approximately $5,000 in rental checks and money orders were stolen from the office before the deposits were made the previous night. How do I account for this issue in the books (I use QuickBooks)?My rental property company books are entered on an accrual basis, with monthly revenues of about $25,000. I was told that approximately $5,000 in rental checks and money orders were stolen from the office before the deposits were made the previous night. How do I account for this issue in the books (I use QuickBooks)?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 24, 2017, 04:53 PM
    FIRST you spend every minute of the day recouping that 5k, by paying for tenants to stop payments on both checks and m.o.'s. Why in the world would you just write it off as a loss?
    Go after the m.o.'s first. They will be easier to cash, and will take the longest to reimburse.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 24, 2017, 06:23 PM
    Do you have insurance? Did you file a police report. Insurance claim?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2017, 05:21 AM
    You debit bad debts

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cash on hand account in quickbooks [ 1 Answers ]

Working for a company now that deals a lot with cash transactions. I can give them qb reports on all the checks and such BUT the picture is not accurate if I don't track the cash transactions. Do I start a qb called cash on hand and make it a bank? Equity? Expense? Thanks in advance.

Quickbooks - Undelete a credit card account - opening balance equity [ 6 Answers ]

I entered a credit card. Added a charge to the card. This was a test. I then went to the chart of accounts and deleted the card. Now, the charge that was on the card ($39.99) is listed as opening balance equity. Evidently, I missed a warning when I deleted the card account. I can't find a...

Revenue account [ 1 Answers ]

Which of the following ways will properly close a revenue account? 28,000 debit, revenue: 28,000 credit, income summary 28,000 debit; income summary, 28,000 credit, revenue 31,700 debit;income summary, 31,700 credit, revenue 31,700 debit; revenue; 31,700 credit, income summary Please...

Revenue account [ 1 Answers ]

When closing a revenue account is unearned revenue added to revenue?

View more questions Search