Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Khalvynnov Posts: 63, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2005, 02:16 PM
    Removing Symantec...
    I've tried to reinstall Nortons 2003 and I got an error, it's looking for the orton Aniti Virus LABEL (whatever that is, thinking it's the original CD) but I have this burned copy of Nortons that I just in case I misplace or break the original copy (with I happen to do), no I can't reinstall the program.
    I just deleted the reg keys and anything that had to do with norton or symantec, which was all fine an dandy till I rebboted the computer. This stupid computer after rebooting backed up the reg keys and all the crap I had just deleted.
    So now I have all the stuff back on the computer and it's looking for things like "C:\PROGRA~\SYMANTEC\SYMVNT.386 (w/e that is... pretty sure that's not on the computer either.

There's got to be a better way to deal with this... any help would be appretiated.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Mar 12, 2005, 04:18 PM
    Symantic
    Norton 'stuff' can be a nightmare to remove,as it gets stuck in the registry,hidden files,and eventually causes a case of "boot through the monitor" syndrome in the worst case. :D

As suggested by ScottGem at an earlier forum response,visit this site:

http://search.symantec.com/custom/us/query.html

In the search box,type RNAV and click search.Have a good look around,it might help.

Don't know if your problem of install has anything to do with the fact that your using a back-up (burnt copy),but Norton is an odd beast to mess with.

Good look my friend,
    Nez.
    Khalvynnov Posts: 63, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2005, 07:54 PM
    Rnav
    Well I went to that site you suggested and got what I was looking for, which is great and all thanks

I just have one question about this other part...

How can I remove the C:\Progra~1\synantec\symevnt.386
    I did a search... it's a dll but as soon as I remove it, my computer will (after the reboot) load the backups again and I'm back at square one lol.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2005, 07:42 AM
    Norton
    Hi,
    Have you downloaded and run the .exe file for removing Norton Antivirus 2003?

Here is a link:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...&osv=&osv_lvl=

Scroll down to the "Download and run the .exe file". Click on the + sign to the left of it.

Best of luck,
    fredg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Symantec Error message: LU 1814 [ 2 Answers ]

I have been receiving messages from my Norton Internet Security that my virus protection is out of date. When I click on "live update" the process stops with a message: "LU 1814: Live update could not retreive the update list." I have gone to the Symantec web site and tried their solutions...

Symantec; error LU1875 [ 1 Answers ]

In trying to get a virus update on Norton my computer shows error LU1875 i.e. the update failed. The procedure to rectify this shows in step 3 that "using the cursor select the following line of text, including the quotation mark at the end: regsvr32/u"c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton...

HELP! Symantec Antivirus 10 CHANGES User's Documents link in My Computer [ 6 Answers ]

I have installed Symantec Antivirus 10.0.1.1000 Client on my computer and noticed something strange. In "My Computer" there are all the partitions and two Documents folders: Shared Documents and PIRATA!'s Documents (in my case my user is called PIRATA!) If you double click on it you will see...

Symantec Problems in Safe Mode [ 5 Answers ]

I am infected with Trojan Startpage and following instructions from Symantec need to run AV in safe mode. I am not very knowledgeable on computers but managed to get XP to start in safe mode. When I try to run Symantec Antivirus it fails to start. It throws up an error that asks me whether I...

Removing xp [ 1 Answers ]

I want to remove xp and install me back on my system for a couple months, how do I go about it Thanks

View more questions Search