Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    06honda Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2017, 05:12 AM
    Hot Water Tank Temp Setting
    I had a new natural gas direct power vent hot water tank installed to work with my infloor radiant heating system. On my old one it was hard to tell the temp due to it being a 18 year old tank with a dial type. This one is light controlled, I had it set a 120 but bumped it up to 125 this evening. My understanding is the floor temp for the system is around 110-115. Just wondering if the HWT temp should be around that or a little higher. No kids in the house so me and the wife are aware of being careful turning on showers etc. Very small house, one level 1080 sq feet. Thanks for any info.

Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2017, 06:40 AM
    Are you saying that your potable water and hydronic heat use the same water heater? They should be zoned differently if installed properly. Can you elaborate... perhaps some pictures?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 8, 2017, 03:11 AM
    In my area, we cannot have heater to operate floor heating and potable water plumbed together. I would first check with Installation Instructions to make sure your heater is designed to operate both heating systems

Milo
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 10, 2017, 04:08 PM
    Assuming an "open system", then that means the hot water will feed through the radiant heat first and then get delivered to the domestic fixture(s) after that. This suggests that you would want a higher temperature than 125F going out to the radiant heat to start as heat will be lost, and depending on the square footage of radiant heat, the heat loss could be great or very little. I would play around a bit here. Obviously, you need to start with temperature that results in an approximately 120F delivery of hot water to fixtures. My guess is that you will need to make adjustments to this in the Soring/Summer.

This is not allowed to be done in my area, but I've read up on it a bit...

Back to you.

Mark
    Mike45plus Posts: 230, Reputation: 27

Feb 14, 2017, 04:25 PM
    06honda,
    Extreme caution is required when combining domestic hot water & space heating in an open system. Legionella bacteria can grow & multiply in open systems that operate under 135 °F.. .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Header tank filling to overflow through the cold water feed pipe to hot water tank [ 0 Answers ]

My cold water tank is overflowing and after turning the water off the water seems to be coming up through the cold water pipe from the hot water tank, any idea as to what could be causing this to happen?

Hot Water Tank / Temp. set to High... [ 4 Answers ]

We recently had our Hot Water Tank replaced... We draw from a Well , the water is Hard and will leave that ever dreaded Rust Stain on the toilet bowl or bathtub if it bypasses the Water Softener.. Anyway in our quest to Lower our Hydro Consumption the Hot Water Tank is on the List as the Temp being...

How to unlock temp setting on a hot tub [ 0 Answers ]

I have a elite spa 7500 and can't get the temp setting to unlock.I have done everything according to manual

View more questions Search