Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Motomatoguy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2017, 04:55 PM
    Access slot to basement for drywall
    My contractor wants to cut a 4"x5' access slot through the 2x8 board that separates the bottom of the garage wall from the very top of the basement so that he can get drywall downstairs more easily. This seems like a really bad idea to me as it could compromise the integrity of that wall (I assume that wall is load bearing since it runs all the way to the roof). Any opinions?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2017, 06:09 PM
    (I assume that wall is load bearing since it runs all the way to the roof). Not necessarily so. Bearing walls are those parallel to the roof run. In a standard gable roof, only 2 outside walls are load bearing, maybe 1 inside depending on truss or non truss construction. 2X8 would be small for a rim joist which this appears to be. However, I would not allow them to cut the 2X8 board. No basement access door?

Feb 4, 2017, 06:48 PM
    thanks! There is a basement access door but I think they want to use 12ft drywall sections and the turn is tight. The board may be larger than 2x8... I was just estimating, but in any case it seems that the risk is all on me just to make it easier for him.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2017, 08:12 PM
    Garage to basement, that is by code is considered a firewall and not the same as interior walls. I can't give a qualified response as to how that will or if it will compromise the fire resistant properties which is what I would be concerned with..
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 5, 2017, 04:22 AM
    He can use 4 x 8, good grief.
    I'd be concerned now that he knows what he's doing finishing a basement. There is a lot to know, some of it new, regarding long term moisture problems, no matter how slight. You can't just put a stud wall against a below ground foundation.

Feb 5, 2017, 06:03 AM
    Appreciate the concern but he has been doing basements for a couple of decades. Just trying to avoid extra taping and mud with smaller drywall pieces.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2017, 03:48 PM
    I've seen people doing work for decades that really didn't know what they were not all that great a what they were doing, or took illegal shortcuts to pad their profits. Particularly if he was the low bidder when everyone else was much higher.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing Drywall and putting in Insulation in the basement. [ 12 Answers ]

I have styrofoam insulation in my basement which doesn't seem to do much help with keeping the cold out in winter. I want to take down the drywall as careful as possible so that I may try to reuse it? What is the best way to take down the drywall to reuse it? Some of it was put up with nails...

Basement ceiling drywall [ 5 Answers ]

I am going to put drywall on my basement ceiling. Is it best/required (due to building code) to use a flame retardent 5/8" board?

How to drywall basement [ 2 Answers ]

How do you drywall a basement ceiling with exposed pipes and wiring in the form of armored cable. Is it possible to do it as a type of drop ceiling? Is there a way to sheetrock part of the ceiling and do a drop ceiling where most of the plumbing and light fixtures are? Thanks, any suggestions would...

Finishing Basement: Laminate Flooring and Drywall [ 4 Answers ]

Finishing Basement: Laminate Flooring and Drywall I'm trying to finish my basement, and had a few questions: 1. I've narrowed down my choice of flooring to be Laminate Flooring (prob get them from SAMs). If I am laying it on top of the concrete slab, can I just lay down a vapor barrier...

View more questions Search