Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2017, 04:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    This selection does not change the balance on the court .

You should be girding your loins for the next SCOTUS selection . That is the one that will be a court changer . Imagine a Scalia type replacing Ginsburg .
    Hello tom:

Where is it written that the balance of the court should be preserved??? What's WRITTEN, is that a president can CHOOSE a replacement to the court when one become available during his watch.. McConnell CHEATED the Democrats out of THEIR seat, and the Democrats should do EVERYTHING they can to do the same thing to them..

They should do it with THIS vacancy.. They should do it when Ginsburg retires.... They should do it when Kennedy retires.. And, they should do it when Breyer retires...

What???

excon
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 2, 2017, 05:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    If Dump wants to be popular he needs to change his attitude, he may have been popular with the red necks but that will wien when they realise he isn't going to bring back millions of jobs, so he needs to sound like a president and not a Yahoo, he behaves like a petulant child
    It's not just jobs Clete, gays, abortion, voting rights, social justice, and religious domination are huge issues the right wing wants to change back! In their minds, THAT is how America will be great AGAIN! That's the challenge we face... which way to go... backward... or FORWARD!

Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello tom:

Where is it written that the balance of the court should be preserved??? What's WRITTEN, is that a president can CHOOSE a replacement to the court when one become available during his watch.. McConnell CHEATED the Democrats out of THEIR seat, and the Democrats should do EVERYTHING they can to do the same thing to them..

They should do it with THIS vacancy.. They should do it when Ginsburg retires.... They should do it when Kennedy retires.. And, they should do it when Breyer retires...

What???

excon
    Not just cheated, but worse repubs were REWARDED for their deception, and LIES!
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2017, 11:34 AM
    The Constitution also provides for the Senate 'advise and CONSENT ' . What ? You thought the President was a dictator who could get anyone he wanted confirmed ?

That did not happen with Bush where many of his judicial nominations were held up in committee ,or not considered at all . If you forgot that I didn't . Here's a couple names to refresh your memory ......Miguel Estrada....Priscilla Owen .... Janice Rogers Brown.

The Dems make it sound like blocking a judge until the end of a President's term is a new thing. Back in 1992 John Roberts had his nomination to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit blocked and eventually expire at the end of GHW Bush's term.

BTW has anyone heard of the "Biden Rule " ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVvxGa0zhWo
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 2, 2017, 02:26 PM
    I saw a report that Gorsuch ran a "fascists club" in high school. Great qualifications!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...m-Forever.html
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2017, 04:35 PM
    let the smears begin. So it's the Daily Mail's contention that he ran a fascist club in Jesuit run Georgetown prep ..and that the Jesuits ,who pretty much invented the Catholic doctrine of 'liberation theology' permitted such a club to exist .....AND allow him to be the student body President ?

Here is what the Daily Mail would've found if they spent 5 minutes researching their claim. He was a conservative in an ultra-liberal school who excelled at debate and did not back down . He was routinely called a “a conservative fascist” by his peers there . So in the year book profile ,he tongue in cheek joked that he founded and led the “Fascism Forever Club”.

'Fascism forever' | Washington Examiner
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 2, 2017, 08:46 PM
    Bush might of backed down from the so called Biden rule but Obama had no such obligation to and he didn't. Repubs could have given his nominee a hearing and voted him down. SCREW McConnell, and the rubber stamp repubs.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2017, 09:15 PM
    let the smears begin. So it's the Daily Mail's contention that he ran a fascist club in Jesuit run Georgetown prep ..and that the Jesuits ,who pretty much invented the Catholic doctrine of 'liberation theology' permitted such a club to exist .....AND allow him to be the student body President ?

Here is what the Daily Mail would've found if they spent 5 minutes researching their claim. He was a conservative in an ultra-liberal school who excelled at debate and did not back down . He was routinely called a “a conservative fascist” by his peers there . So in the year book profile ,he tongue in cheek joked that he founded and led the “Fascism Forever Club”.

Georgetown Prep is hardly "ultra-liberal." Its classical curriculum is run by American Jesuits who tend to be more conservative than liberal. The South American Jesuits, some of whom live among the poorest of the poor, have developed liberation theology - a kind of Marxism without the atheism. In the face of autocratic and often murderous regimes, it provides hope to the oppressed.

The "fascism" business above is simply high school yearbook stuff, tongue in cheek.
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2017, 11:33 AM
    I've never heard anyone describe Jesuits ;American or otherwise as being' more conservative than liberal '. I'm a pre-Vatican II type of Catholic so I guess it is a matter of perspective. Tim Kaine is a liberation theologist . Thank God he is not in the position Pence is in today .
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2017, 12:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    Georgetown Prep is hardly "ultra-liberal." Its classical curriculum is run by American Jesuits who tend to be more conservative than liberal. The South American Jesuits, some of whom live among the poorest of the poor, have developed liberation theology - a kind of Marxism without the atheism. In the face of autocratic and often murderous regimes, it provides hope to the oppressed.

The "fascism" business above is simply high school yearbook stuff, tongue in cheek.
    Athos have you EVER visited Georgetown University? It might not be Berkley bats hit lefty... but Georgetown is FAR from actually being Conservative and Being Christian based doesn't automatically make you conservative by association either as I am sure you are well aware.

That is practically in my back yard and I saw part of it twice a day for over 20 years...going to and from work every day.
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2017, 02:08 PM
    I've never heard anyone describe Jesuits ;American or otherwise as being' more conservative than liberal '. I'm a pre-Vatican II type of Catholic so I guess it is a matter of perspective. Tim Kaine is a liberation theologist . Thank God he is not in the position Pence is in today .
    I spent six years being educated by the Jesuits. The typical Jesuit priest on the ground tends to be conservative while the Scholastics (Jesuits in training pre-ordination), being in their twenties mostly, tend to be liberal. The University heads and other prominent Jesuits, including the present pope, tend to speak in liberal tones but in a Gospel-oriented way, not so much as what we would normally think of as politically liberal. In any case, it's safe to say almost ALL Jesuits approve of liberation theology.

Jesuits reflect their homeland and its culture. That's why Jesuits, an international society, can often be politically diverse.

Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Athos have you EVER visited Georgetown University? It might not be Berkley bats hit lefty... but Georgetown is FAR from actually being Conservative and Being Christian based doesn't automatically make you conservative by association either as I am sure you are well aware.

That is practically in my back yard and I saw part of it twice a day for over 20 years...going to and from work every day.
    I'm quite familiar with Georgetown having been accepted into their School of Foreign Service. In the event, I did not attend but did visit their campus in DC. See my reply above for your other points.
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2017, 02:40 PM
    1. I spent six years being educated by the Jesuits.
    Yeah although I ultimately ended up in a Methodist College . I've been exposed to Jesuit and Maryknoll thinking most of my life.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2017, 08:02 PM
    Being exposed to the thinking and agreeing with it, too different things, eh, Tom
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2017, 08:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    I spent six years being educated by the Jesuits. The typical Jesuit priest on the ground tends to be conservative while the Scholastics (Jesuits in training pre-ordination), being in their twenties mostly, tend to be liberal. The University heads and other prominent Jesuits, including the present pope, tend to speak in liberal tones but in a Gospel-oriented way, not so much as what we would normally think of as politically liberal. In any case, it's safe to say almost ALL Jesuits approve of liberation theology.

Jesuits reflect their homeland and its culture. That's why Jesuits, an international society, can often be politically diverse.

I'm quite familiar with Georgetown having been accepted into their School of Foreign Service. In the event, I did not attend but did visit their campus in DC. See my reply above for your other points.
    You were talking about Georgetown University... and I was talking about Georgetown university.. and it doesn't have a conservative reputation even in far left leaning Washington DC. GW might be to the left of it as far as a few others...but that doesn't make it conservative.

Now since I have a good idea of your age....its possible during your college years it might have been. which would have been before I was born..I only know what its like now, and the last 36 years since I was in college. Like most places that once offered education..liberal activists have pushed out most of the real educators and have been preaching propaganda more than teaching facts. and that started to become noticeable when I was in high school...

Now talking Jesuits themselves really is a very different thing. I'm not going to argue that point.

I've been in THIS area for the last 36 years...I have known a few people that did attend there including a cousins duaghter, I even dated one girl that was in the law program way back when for about 6 months. I've been there more than a few times too. just not as a student. I never applied....Being white and having no connections at the time....applying wasn't even an option. Obama got a free ride just because of his skin color...I got absolutely no help because of mine....and we are only a few months different in age.
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2017, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    I never applied....Being white and having no connections at the time....applying wasn't even an option. Obama got a free ride just because of his skin color...I got absolutely no help because of mine....and we are only a few months different in age.
    Being white, applying wasn't an option? Are you serious? Anyone can apply. You just need the forms and know how to fill them out. If something so simple defeated you, you probably weren't college material to begin with.

Obama got a "free ride" because of his skin color? Obama paid for Columbia with family money, grants and student loans. Before Harvard, he worked for five years after graduating from Columbia. I don't see "free ride" anywhere in this scenario - except in your fevered anti-Obama brain.

You whine about yourself getting "absolutely no help because of mine." Neither did Obama. The point of your similarity in age to Obama eludes me.
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2017, 08:34 AM
    Hello:

This fight ISN'T about Gorsuch.. He's a decent sort of guy.. It's about McConnell STEALING the seat.. The Democrats should NEVER, NEVER, EVER reward them for STEALING..

IF their theft was LEGAL because the Senate is NOT required to approve anybody, then when the Democrats DO it, it's gonna be LEGAL too..

Today, the court is 4 to 4.. Kennedy is 80. If and when he retires, the court will be 4 to 3 IN FAVOR of the liberals.. And, that's EXACTLY what the right wingers DESERVE.

excon
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2017, 04:29 PM
    BTW has anyone heard of the "Biden Rule " ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVvxGa0zhWo

How about the Schumer rule ?

http://www.politico.com/story/2007/0...t-picks-005146
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2017, 05:09 PM
    Hello again, tom:

Rules??? We don't need no stinkin rules..

excon
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2017, 05:33 PM
    The Dems are going to lose on this one badly . In the end there will be many of them that vote for confirmation because they know that this nomination is not worth the political capital to oppose it . They will level their usual predictable boiler plate charges about how he lovers corporations, hates women ,and has no empathy . Those charges are nonsense and will not stick.
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2017, 06:21 PM
    Hello again, tom:

The only way they can lose is if McConnell invokes the nuclear option.. Then the Senate is broken forever..

excon
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2017, 07:05 PM
    Don't you think the filibuster is an idea whose day is over? we don't live in a polite society anymore, this is obvious by every word uttered by the twitter-in-chief

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Supreme Court justice nominees must be submitted to whom for consent and approval by [ 1 Answers ]

Supreme Court justices must be approved by whom? The House or the Senate?

Associate Justice Sotomayor [ 109 Answers ]

Hello: She's everything the president and I wanted - and empathetic too. She WILL be confirmed. It's just a matter of how much the right wants to embarrass itself. excon

A Supreme Court Justice WITH empathy [ 35 Answers ]

Hello: Do you want your next Justice to have empathy?? The right wing says no. They just want the law to be enforced as written... But, the right, as usual, is WRONG! I won't go into how the right wing justices have "empathy" for the police and the prosecutors... But I WILL bring up one...

View more questions Search