Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    uschaz Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2007, 08:30 PM
    Magic Chef refrigerator making groaning noise
    Model CSD2123AR side by side with ice maker and ice and water in the door 21.1 cubic ft

Functions perfectly but intermittently makes groaning noise. Getting more and more often

Steps taken so far

Removed fan assembly in freezer compartment cleaned it up and reinstalled

Removed Ice maker assembly cleaned it up and reinstalled

Everything still works great but still noise persists (no real indication of where it is coming from but loudest in the freezer compartment

Unplugged ice maker still makes noise so plugged it back in
    Unplugged fan in freezer still makes noise so plugged it back in
    Unplugged inlet solenoid turned off water released pressure still makes noise so plugged it back in and turned on the water again
    Unplugged fan down by the compressor (hooked up a small separate powered fan to provide cooling) and it still makes the noise..

Sounds just like a groan varies in pitch and duration..

I AM STUCK... ( no money for a service call )
    JackT Posts: 260, Reputation: 19

Apr 16, 2007, 12:59 PM
    You've tried all the obvious things. Usually it's the evaporator fan motor in the freezer compartment but you ruled that out. The only other thing I can think of is the defrost timer motor. I'm not familiar with this model but timers can be inside the refrigerator, or they can be at the bottom in the front or the back. I don't know what else it could be. Good luck...
    JackT Posts: 260, Reputation: 19

Apr 23, 2007, 02:11 PM
    The only last thing I can suggest is the refrigerant. When the compressor shuts off the refrigerant will balance out in the system. Sometimes you can hear it going through the capillary tubing. This tubing is a small line that meters the refrigerant from condenser to the evaporator coil. Other than that I'm clueless, not much else left. Good luck,
    maka Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 05:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by uschaz
    Model CSD2123AR side by side with ice maker and ice and water in the door 21.1 cubic ft

functions perfectly but intermittently makes groaning noise. getting more and more often

steps taken so far

removed fan assembly in freezer compartment cleaned it up and reinstalled

removed Ice maker assembly cleaned it up and reinstalled

Everything still works great but still noise persists (no real indication of where it is coming from but loudest in the freezer compartment

unplugged ice maker still makes noise so plugged it back in
    unplugged fan in freezer still makes noise so plugged it back in
    unplugged inlet solenoid turned off water released pressure still makes noise so plugged it back in and turned on the water again
    unplugged fan down by the compressor (hooked up a small separate powered fan to provide cooling) and it still makes the noise..

sounds just like a groan varies in pitch and duration..

I AM STUCK... ( no money for a service call )
    It's just the defrost system working its way through the pipes... don't worry about it unless the unit stops completely. If you don't have a user's guide with troubleshooting tips in it, call Maytag and ask for technical advice... good luck
    RalphS Posts: 120, Reputation: 12

Apr 23, 2007, 06:32 PM
    I agree with all the above comments and by eliminating one component at a time you have done about all you can do. I concur with JackT's second comment that it may just be the freon equalizing between the high and low system through the cap tube.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Magic chef 4.6 cu ft frigerator [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought this refergerator. I am interested to know can the small freezer part be taken out of this unit and have the unit continue to work. I have no need of the freezer and would like the extra clearance it would give me. Thanks for any answers.

MAYTAG Magic Chef Dryer [ 1 Answers ]

My dryer heats up good but it takes several cycles to dry one load of clothes.Lately my wife has reduced the size of load so that it doesn't take all day to dry one load.How do I get to the inside of this dryer to check it out.

Magic Chef Refrigerator [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, I run an apartment complex's maintenance department with 250 units. I've been doing this for a few years and before that I was in the hvac and appliance repair business. I have a problem that is popping up in several of these refrigerators that I have not figured out. I have called...

Magic Chef Dryer shuts off [ 10 Answers ]

PLEASE HELP! I have a Magic Chef dryer model #YE205KW. Recently, it stopped heating with no other problems. I replaced the high limit thermostat and the thermal fuse. It worked fine with the first load or two and now it shuts off after a few minutes of drying time. After a few minutes later,...

View more questions Search