Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robertsqueen Posts: 376, Reputation: 43

Apr 15, 2007, 07:42 PM
    2 yr old hit cut open eye how do I comfort him
    Hello you all know me and know that I have a two year old. Well this afternoon at a family function he fell on a bush that was cut down and cut right under his eye and eye lid. We went to the hospital and he didn't cut the inside of his eye.. that is fine But now he has a bloody eye and black and blue. He seems to have discomfort. Do any of you have any suggestions about how to make him more comfortable? Thank you for your advice in advance. I just hate to see him hurt. This is his first big Owwie and of course I cried and freaked out lol.:(
    Lillian42 Posts: 83, Reputation: 8

Apr 15, 2007, 07:57 PM
    I would try to give him children tylenol or motrin try keeping cold wash cloth on his eye. And of course extra love and hugs, its so sad when little kids get hurt!

Apr 15, 2007, 08:00 PM
    Yeah it is... and when they can't tell you. I gave him children meltaway tynol he is in bed right now... but I am worried about tommarow... his eye will probably be swollen shut
    Lillian42 Posts: 83, Reputation: 8

Apr 15, 2007, 08:48 PM
    I feel your pain when my little guy was about a year and a half he was running and bit his tongue really bad the gash was hugh and boy did it bleed it freaked me out and there was nothing the doctors could do it healed on its self but boy was it bad!
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

Apr 15, 2007, 08:53 PM
    Children's ibuprofen always seems to relieve pain best for my kids. A cool washcloth to hold over his eye is a good idea to help keep down swelling, but a lot of young kids simply won't want anything wet or cold on their faces. His eye may get black and blue, but that is more likely to disturb you than him. I back the extra hugs and kisses. By tomorrow, he will probably have forgotten it all!

Apr 16, 2007, 07:21 AM
    Okay so today he woke up and he can't even open his eye.. it is all red and swollen. He keeps having crying fits and says owwie and points his eye. I am giving him Ibprophen but he is still in pain. He can't see out of his eye either... now what do I do?

Apr 16, 2007, 11:11 AM
    All you really can do is keep on hugging him and reassuring him that it will get better. Will he allow you to wrap ice in a damp cloth and hold it over his eye? Could you try to hold a compress to his eye when he naps? The other thing is to try to keep him from touching or rubbing the eye, as this will only increase the swelling, and could possibly cause infection. If you see any yellowness or seepage from the wound take him into his pediatrician, as it could already be infected. He may not be in as much pain as he seems, the crying fits and the "owwie" could be coming from the frustration of not being able to see out of his eye. You can imagine how he understands that something isn't right, but doesn't know how to communicate it. Keep comforting and reassuring and let him know it is OK and it will go away.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2007, 12:06 PM
    My son has had 3 big owies in his short life, one from a hernia surgery (incision in abdomen) one where he flew headfirst over a couch into the edge of a square glass table (big bloody gash in forehead) and one where he tripped and cut the corner of his eye on his own glasses...

3 things helped every time... 1.)alternate children's tylenol with children's motrin... 2.)popsicles (dont know why it just works)... 3.)a fancy bandaid for him (whether he needs it or not, it's a mental thing) and a bandaid in the same spot on his favorite lovey (a stuffed frog)... works every time... he just forgot about it... looked horrible... but forgot..
    isabelle Posts: 309, Reputation: 31

Apr 17, 2007, 11:41 AM
    Try calling him "the champion" and telling him how brave he is to have a "black eye" and that even big boys cry over this... tell him how if it was trick or treat time he could go as "Rocky" or some other action figure that he may recognize. Try to cuddle him without making it too big of a deal. Children often react to what parents are feeling. I know your heart is breaking, but I also think that he will pick up on this and it makes him feel worse. Try downplaying it a little.
    Hope this helps and I know how it is making you feel. Being a mommy is hard and heart breaking work.

Apr 17, 2007, 08:27 PM
    Thank you guys so much for alll the great advice. He is doing better today.. yesterday was hard though... but I gave him lots of love. I kept on calling him champ and he kept on grunting lol
    LuvMyMaltipoo Posts: 281, Reputation: 39

Apr 17, 2007, 08:43 PM
    Aw, poor thing. Something similar happened to my little nephew a few years back, his eye was swollen shut as well and I had to babysit him that next day so his "mommy" could work. We rented Peter Pan and we put a patch over his eye and he pretended to be Captain Hook for the rest of the day and never thought twice about his eye.

Apr 17, 2007, 10:02 PM
    My son fell and cut his forehead one day before his first birthday... he had to have stitches. I remember how terrified I was. But he really was a champ. I am sure your son will be too. I am glad to hear he is improving.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cut her loose or cut her slackj [ 3 Answers ]

Dude, this sounds bad, but my friend is hott(not in a lesbo way), and she is friends with all the guys. But whenever she tries to help out a friend, they always endup liking her! It really ticks me off because all the guys love her and I really don't need her taking the only guy I got! She always...

Hit and Go [ 5 Answers ]

3 days ago, unfortunately I hit a car, it was parked in a road. It was during when I was taking back and I thought it was a small touch. So I did not informed the car owner. But today I saw some paint on the back bumper of my car and I hope it is the paint of that car. I don't know what was...

Comfort Suite Thermostat and defroster [ 2 Answers ]

I have a central air conditioning and heating system, there's 2 different systems one for upstairs and one for the lower level and basement. The one for the lower level and basement I'm having problems with. For the first week over night when it gets real cold it will blow all night and coolish...

Love or comfort? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! My name is Tracy (8-4-83). I have been with my boyfriend greg (3-15-84) now for about 2 1/2 years. I have known him for almost 10 years. He was my first boyfriend/kiss when I was 13 years old. He is so wonderful, and I do love him very much, and often see us being together forever. But I...

View more questions Search