Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    3127 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2007, 07:38 PM
    Child Support After Age 23?
    My son is now 23. He will graduate university this month. My ex. Thinks I should still pay Child Support to her, because he is continuing his education for his master. IS she right or can I stop paying after this month. I do not have a university degree and she dropped out of high school?? :confused:
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 15, 2007, 09:34 PM
    If you listen to her you will be paying her for his children. You already paid 5 years beyound what anyone else does. Why were you giving her money wile he was in college? Why didn't you just pay some of his bills? Or give him money?
    whiteladybug2002 Posts: 235, Reputation: 36

Apr 15, 2007, 09:49 PM
    I would tell her... HAHA! She is very funny! I don't know of any state that has you to pay child support for a child while they are in grad school? That is crazy and apparently, your ex thinks you are too. (No offense) Unless you agreed to pay child support to her until he completed grad school, then I don't think you have any obligation to pay child support to her.

I do agree that you should still help out the son with college expenses, but not pay her!

Good Luck and God Loves You!
    1badchoice Posts: 227, Reputation: 45

Apr 15, 2007, 11:09 PM
    Though some states to include child support for a child if they are in school (ex: Mass), I believe this is only for the undergraduate degree. This is of course considering that you didn't agree (in divorce settlement/child support order) to continue support while child was in grad school. Personally, I wouldn't pay after graduation. She would have to get an attorney and take you to court for contempt to get ongoing support... which I strongly believe she could not get. As I state to others, many attorney's will give a free consultation. Take advantage of this to get more accurate advice on your specific situation. Now I just want to take a minute to say... thank you for paying your support. You can feel proud that you took care of your responsibilities like a man. It's refreshing to hear. Good luck. Cathy
    SPRINGWAT Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2007, 03:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 3127
    My son is now 23. He will graduate university this month. My ex. thinks I should still pay Child Support to her, because he is continuing his education for his master. IS she right or can I stop paying after this month. I do not have a university degree and she dropped out of high school???:confused:
    Frankly, legally you have nothing to worry about. Here's an arguing point for you. When child support is calculated each parent is actually assigned a contribution amoutn. If the child lives with the mother, the father would "anti-up" his share, so to if the father had custody would the mother pay the father. This with the understanding that the custodial or parent who the child resides with already is contributing with a home, water, food, clothing and so forth. Now if the boy is 23, grown, living outside of your home and hers then it would only stand to reason that (1) you pay him, not her - and (2) she also give the child her monetary requirement.

Easy answer is this sir, you aren't obligated to, unless for some fool reason in the past you agreed to it, in court.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 18, 2007, 03:51 PM
    In the end what exactly does your divorce/child support agreement say. If you signed that you would pay for all his college education, they may have a case, if you signed to pay till he was a certain age or till out of college then it would normally end.

If you signed something that did not even have anything to say about it, she would have to try and file in court to force you to pay.

And if anything at this point, normally even after the point they are in college ( undergrad) and not living at home, you petition the court to pay the school or pay directly to the child not to the mother anymore anyway.

And I see no reason that you should not help pay HIM or his college for some of his education,
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2007, 04:35 PM
    As stated above, check your divorce proceedings and the section on child support. No one here knows exactly what those terms are. But you can easily find out. Even if you are a messy record keeper, your attorney has a copy. Generally speaking, once the child is done with the college degree, the support would stop also. So check your divoirce papers. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In NY State @ What Age Does Child Support End [ 8 Answers ]

Our court papers do NOT state an age limit for child support to end. Both my kids are in college. One is 18 the other just turned 21. 1. Is the state of NY going to end the support one day without notice? 2. Can their father end the support at any time without me knowing until get a payment...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Support after age 18 [ 5 Answers ]

Hello~ My child will be turning 18 and graduating during the same month. My child plans on going to college right after graduation. Would I be entitled to receive support during her college years? I am a single mother of two and I've only been working for the last seven years. I do not make much...

Child Support after child is 18 yrs. Of age [ 5 Answers ]

If there is a court order in a divorce decree that the spouse is to pay child support until the child is 18 yrs. Old or until out of school, but the child support was never received, nor was it taken before Family and Children's services to enforce it to be done, is it possible years later (child...

No child support in year don't want ex to be involved with child. [ 3 Answers ]

My ex has not paid any child support in 1 year. I did not take him to court. I really don't want him to be involved with the child because he has uncontroled mental illness. What rights does he have? My new husband wants to adupt him well that be possible and how? Do I have any rights that well...

View more questions Search