Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Thomas Mills Posts: 31, Reputation: 7

Apr 15, 2007, 07:02 PM
    Can I Hook up camera to monitor direct?
    I was told that I can hook up a computer camera direct to the monitor with out using a computer. Is this true? I want to put a camera outside my door & leave it on to monitor my front door at all times. Do I need to hook it up to my computer or can I have live feed into a monitor or how can I do this easily. Thanks Thomas
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Apr 18, 2007, 02:46 PM
    An everyday sort of USB based webcam cannot be directly connected to a traditional-style computer monitor. While some types of cameras may offer alternate video output lines, they still cannot connect to the VGA or DVI type of connection used by modern PC monitors.

However - A security camera setup like this should not be very expensive. A local alarm/security company can probably give you a very competitve quote.
    NorCal68 Posts: 79, Reputation: 6

Apr 22, 2007, 12:59 PM
    No, I don't believe that's possible. Now I would buy an inexpensive video camera (not with recording capability - there's no need for that) and it doesn't need any auto-zoom or much else! A basic security style camera is what you're looking for - and it's your choice as to a b/w or color system. Same thing applies to a cheap line-in-only monitor … no need to pay for a channel-tuner here. By doing this, you can run a single coax cable from the camera to the monitor. And you won't be locked into where you place the monitor. Have you considered where you'll get power for the camera and how you'll run the cable from this camera to the monitor? That can be a little tricky.
    Hope this helps and I'll check back for updates … I can give you some sites for equipment purchases if you like.
    David
    (35 yrs. Audio/video engineering)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor colors faded (Monitor color problem) [ 5 Answers ]

I have an envision flat screen monitor and the issue is I had a worm on my computer so I had to reboot it.When the startup came up the colors were faded in a blueish light hue . I updated the drives but still nothing worked. I don't know if it's the monitor or vga cable or just the video card in...

Kodak Camera [ 1 Answers ]

I've been using a kodak easy share camera for over a year and just received a new kodak easy share camera. Do I need to uninstall the software for the old camera before installing the software for the new camera?

Digital Camera Not Seen [ 3 Answers ]

Can anybody tell me why one computer has no problems downloading pics from a Kodak Digital EasyShare CX6330 camera, but another one will not see the camera. Adobe PhotoShop Album Starter Edition 3.0, and Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard, they both tell me that there is no camera, Roxio Capture...

Ferrari camera [ 8 Answers ]

How much does it cost

View more questions Search