Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SandMixer72 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2017, 09:28 AM
    Using sand for building the pre-slope layer in a walk-in shower
    Am building a walk-in shower- using just sand as my pre-layer over plywood sub-floor to create proper slope. Next layer is rubber matting water proof layer and the top layer will be a mortar mix. The concern is that the sand will shift- What do you think?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 4, 2017, 09:49 AM
    There are dozens of good Youtube videos on membrane under mortar showers. If you want help finding some, we can. I'm positive that you should NOT use just sand for the slope. The slope of mortar isn't that steep, especially if the drain is in the center. There's also a lot to know about the corners and the walls and how they meet the floor, and so on.

Jan 4, 2017, 10:32 AM
    Thank you- have watched the YouTube videos and will switch to a mortar based pre-slope and then the membrane etc.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 4, 2017, 10:59 AM
    Sand is not a good idea at all. Membrane goes over the ply and 6 inches up on the sides. Your base is then all mortar which creates the slope.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2017, 02:58 PM
    Sand will shift and you will have a cracked floor in no time. Build a wet mortar bed or use a preformed base if the shower is standard size.

Jan 5, 2017, 03:39 PM
    Thanks appreciate your interest

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Building a platform for a walk-in shower [ 0 Answers ]

My wife has been diagnosed with Metastatic Bone Cancer. We have gone about making the home as safe as possible. We have a 5 Ft x 5Ft walk-in shower. To make it safer and more accessible we have replaced the original tile with porcelain tile to provide for more texture and better grip. We have...

To pre slope or not to pre slope... shower pan [ 3 Answers ]

I am getting ready to pour a shower pan with liner. Question is, should I pre slope before the liner goes in or not? I have read 50/50 opinions, some saying to pre slope is over kill. Thanks in advance.

Plumber forgot sand under shower pan, can I fix this with building foam? [ 7 Answers ]

I want to fix a leaking shower pan. The plumber forgot the sand when he installed the shower and my idea was to drill a hole into the PVC pan and through this hole try and spray building foam to fill the space that was supposed to be filled by sand. Is this a viable idea?

How to build a pre-slope [ 2 Answers ]

I'm about to build a pre-slope in a shower base (floor) over existing concrete in a basement for tiles. The drain pipe is approx. 2" above. What is the proper procedure to build this up?

Building a pre-slope for a shower pan [ 4 Answers ]

I used sand mix (with acrylic fortifier) for the pre-slope I built for a new shower pan. After the mortar sets up(two days later) I checked the surface by knocking on it with a stick, I heard hollow ring instead of solid thud in some spots. What does this mean? The material in the spots where I...

View more questions Search