Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miclus Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2017, 04:41 PM
    Not paying healthcare mandate fee
    Hi. I have a return this year where I will owe money. Part of it is for the no healthcare fee. However, I am not going to pay that portion. Does anyone know if that's possible through software like TaxAct or TurboTax that automatically calculate what you owe?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 2, 2017, 06:05 PM
    Are you just going to ignore that line of forms and pretend you don't owe it. Or have it show you owe the money and just refuse to pay ?
    miclus Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2017, 09:09 PM
    Hi, Chuck. I was going to have it show I owe but not pay.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 3, 2017, 06:27 AM
    You can always override the number shown in the cell for money owed (you can override any cell in TurboTax). But of course if in fact you owe the money the IRS will quickly catch it.
    suntaxfla Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2017, 08:10 AM
    The IRS will deduct this amount from future refunds, but they cannot lien or levy property for this amount. Neither does the taxpayer face criminal penalties.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 3, 2017, 08:31 AM
    suntaxfla, what about penalties and interest? They used to be very high.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 3, 2017, 10:21 AM
    Failure to pay penalties is 1/2 of 1% per month not paid, plus an annual interest amount (about 5%).

Jan 3, 2017, 11:11 AM
    Aha... that's where it gets complicated.

The monthly penalty amount for any month is equal to 1/12th of the greater of:• a calculated flat dollar amount ($695 for 2016)
    • a specified percentage of the excess of household income (defined with respect to “modified adjusted gross income”) over the gross income filing threshold under §6012(a)(1). The latter depends upon your filing status.
    “Modified adjusted gross income” for most people will be the same as line 37 on the 1040. The specified percentage of household income is 2.5% for 2016 and later.

The applicable dollar amount for individuals younger than age 18 is one-half of the dollar amount, and The total penalty is limited to 300% of the penalty amount for the calendar year with or within which the taxable year ends, as determined without regard to the reduction for individuals under age 18.
    In no event can the monthly penalty exceed the monthly national average bronze plan premium.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions.
    current pert

Jan 3, 2017, 11:58 AM
    ... and all the talk about simplifying the tax code....

Jan 3, 2017, 12:26 PM
    Well... that's not really the topic of this forum.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 3, 2017, 12:27 PM
    ANY simplification of the IRC will inevitably result in the lower half of the income strata paying more on a per capita basis than those who are wealthier and better able to pay the higher taxes.

That is why the "Fair Tax" and "Flat Tax" arguments never gain any traction, because once someone looks hard at the numbers, they realize these schemes results in a massive tax break for the top 10% of the population at the expense of everyone else.
    current pert

Jan 3, 2017, 02:33 PM
    Oh I know I was off topic; couldn't resist.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 3, 2017, 02:45 PM
    Noted!
    current pert

Jan 3, 2017, 05:09 PM
    And your remarks noted!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I just apply for I-485 instead of paying NVC the visa processing fee [ 1 Answers ]

My mom submitted the I-130 form dec 2007. It got approved and is now sent to the NVC for visa processing. NVC is now asking for a $230 visa processing fee. My question is should I pay the $230 or can I just file I-485 as well as I-485 supplement A and submit it to USCIS?

Looking for a DATA ENTRY position to work from my home without paying any fee. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello everyone! Does anyone know how can I get a job as data entry from my home? Work from home as a data entry position. I will be very pleased and very happy if anyone can recommend any web-site or phone that I can contact and apply for free as a data entry position. Thanks for your...

Late fee in paying rent [ 7 Answers ]

Hi all, I have been transferring money from my saving to checking on 3rd of every month and then from the apartment owner used to take money on the 5th of every month. This time it happens that the 3rd was Saturday and therefore the money came to the checking on Tuesday, 6th. The apartment...

Can I be sued for not paying a fee for my house? [ 29 Answers ]

There is a membership fee for where I live because I live on a lake and there is a fee to maintain the lake so everyone in the community has to pay $200 a year to help out and to have privilages to use the lake. I never wanted to use it, so I never signed any papers. I got 1 letter in the mail...

Healthcare versus non healthcare business planss [ 1 Answers ]

What is important in a healthcare business plan that is not ordinarily included in a non-healthcare plan?

View more questions Search