Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shira S Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2016, 10:35 AM
    Elastic Collision - trucks
    Question:
    A bus of mass 1400kg that is traveling West, collides with a small truck of mass 900kg that is traveling North. As a result of the collision, the two trucks join together. A cop determines from the skid marks that the immediately following the collision the joint trucks moved at 12m/s in the direction 37 degrees west of north. Calculate the initial velocity of both trucks.

Attempted Solution:
    I started by setting up two equations: one for the x component and one for the y component.

x: m1v1x + m2v2x = (m1+m2)ux --> (1400)(v1x) + (900)(v2x) = (1400+900)(12cos37)
    y: m1v1y + m2v2y = (m1+m2)uy --> (1400)(v1y) + (900)(v2y) = (1400+900)(12sin37)

Now I'm stuck. I have two equations with four variables.. Where do I go from here?

(Note: I know that the answer is 11.9m/s and 24.5m/s, but can't figure out how to get there)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 19, 2016, 01:03 PM
    Remember that initially the 1400 Kg vehicle is traveling due west, so v1y = 0. And the 900 Kg vehicle is initially traveling due north, so v2x = 0. Now you have two equations in two unknowns. And by the way: you titled this problem "Elastic Collision - trucks," but this is NOT an elastic collision - its inelastic. If the crash was elastic the two vehicles would bounce off each other, rather than stick together.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is skin like elastic? [ 1 Answers ]

I currently started losing weight, but I'm afraid if I lose too much my stomach will stay flabby and gross. My mom told me that because I'm still so young, I'm 22, my skin is like elastic and should tighten as I lose the weight. Is this true or not? And if not is there any exercises I can so to...

Elastic collisions [ 1 Answers ]

I am given a problem with two objects moving in the same direction but different velocities. The first objects overtakes and collides with the second. I can't figure out how to find the final velocities of both objects. We are only given initial velocities for both and masses for both. I really...

Elastic clause [ 1 Answers ]

Fill in the blank The elastic clause is the source of the central government's ___________ powers.

View more questions Search