Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shira S Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2016, 10:28 AM
    Collision of a bullet and a hanging block
    Question:
    A bullet of mass 5g is shot through a wooden block of mass 1kg, that is attached to a 2m string. The center of the block rises .4 cm. Find the velocity of the bullet when it leaves the block if its initial velocity is 300 m/s.

Attempted Solution:
    Using the information I have (mB=.005kg, mW=1kg, vB=300m/s, vW=0), and with thr assumption that this is a 1D elastic collision, I set up two equations.

(1) uB - uW = vB - vW --> uB - uW = 300
    (2) mBvB + mWvW = mBuB + mWuW -- > 1.5 = .005uB + uT

Solving the system of equations got me uB = 300 m/s

However the answer key says 244 m/s. Where did I go wrong?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 19, 2016, 12:57 PM
    Where dod you get that first equation? It seems you think that the difference in velocity between bullet and weight is constant - but it's not. Obviousl the bullet slows fdown some, and some of its original momentum is transferred into the weight, giving it a velocity in the same direction as the bullet. Hence the differences in velocity decreases.

The principle you should be using is conservation of momentum:

To calculate v_B you first need to determine v_W. To do that, use the fact that it rises 0.4 cm after being hit. Hence the KE it obtains when struck by the bullet is converted to potential energy in Earth's gravity. From conservation of energy:

Can you take it from here?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the velocity of a 10g bullet fired into a 3.0kg block [ 1 Answers ]

A 10-gram bullet is fired into a 3.0-kilogram block, giving the block a velocity of 30 cm/sec. With what velocity was the bullet fired?

A bullet is fired from a gun with a barrel length of 0.94m.During firing the bullet h [ 1 Answers ]

A bullet is fired from a gun with a barrel length of 0.94m.During firing the bullet has a constant acceleration of 311m/s/s. after firing the bullet has a constant velocity.If the target is 31 m away from the end of the barrel, how long will it take to hit the target?

Block stricked by a bullet [ 1 Answers ]

A block of wood with mass = 4.65 kg is resting on a horizontal surface when a bullet with mass of 18g and moving with a speed of 725m/s strikes it. The coefficient of friction between the block and the surface is 0.35. The distance the block moves across the surface is?

Bullet in Block [ 2 Answers ]

A 0.001 kg bullet is fired from a gun and lodges inside a wooden block of mass 0.2 kg. The block and bullet then slide on a rough floor with a coefficient of kinetic friction μk = 0.4 before coming to rest after sliding a distance of 3 m. Compare KE_initial, the initial kinetic energy of the...

My aunt said there is something hanging out of her something is just hanging? [ 1 Answers ]

OK my aunt is 38 weeks pregnant and she has been hurting in her pelvic bone today just a few minutes ago she said there is something hanging out of her down their what could that be

View more questions Search