Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hojosi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2016, 08:57 AM
    Roofing, felt, drip edge.. can the same type of nails be used for all three
    I built a 23' x 13' mono roof for a shed with a good grade. First question is if the rafters are at 18" apart should I use 5/8 or 3/4 plywood, what length nails and can the same nails be used for the sheathing, felt, and drip edge? The shed is in Florida.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2016, 06:13 PM
    5/8 is fine. Why 18"?, throws all your sheathing measurements off. Standard is 16" centers, always bearing at 4 and 8 ft. Nails serve different purposes. No, you can't use the same nail. Sheathing should be nailed with 8d cement coated sinkers. Felt can be either stapled down or with plastic washer nails, I use a hammer stapler. Drip edge can use the same nail as what you will use for the shingles, make sure to nail the drip edge into the roof rafters. HOWEVER. Note that FL is pretty specific as to construction practices due to windstorm. You might want to talk to a local building inspector.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drip edge vs roll over roofing [ 1 Answers ]

A roofer is giving me an estimate and says he does not install drip edge but does a roll over. He guarantees his work for 10 years, and the Heritage shingles have a 30 yr warranty. He has been in business for a long time and work looks good but everything I read says to install a drip edge and I...

Shouders felt heavy, neck felt been pressed, fingers shaking automatically , WHY ? [ 1 Answers ]

My niece recently felt her neck been pressed (but actually nobody nearby ), and her shoulders felt heavy, as if there is some heavy loads on her shoulders. Sometimes fingers of her right palm shake automatically... What's wrong with her ?

Bumps on drip edge needed? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm about to install drip edge on a roof before putting down a torch down roofing material. I have found two types of 2x2 drip edge. One has two little bumps in the top surface. You can see what I mean in the second outline down on this page: Styles of drip edge, choose the proper edging for...

Installing Drip Edge Sheet Metal to protect OSB from staining? [ 2 Answers ]

All right, so we recently bought this house. The inspector that checked it out for us before we bought it was out at the house when it was raining. He said that he noticed that there was staining on the OSB where water was leaking back on to it. He recommended that we get some drip edge sheet metal...

Drip edge required? [ 26 Answers ]

Having our bad slate roof removed, re-sheeted with osb and dimensional asphalt shingles and new gutters and downspouts. We are keeping existing soffit and fascia. Job has already been started. Roofer told me today that with the type of gutter hanger he is using (I believe they are hidden type...

View more questions Search