Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vaemt Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2007, 05:24 PM
    How would you perform this J-Entry
    Ok I am so lost I keep trying to get this down pat but it keeps coming up wrong on my end... please help!! :eek:

Use: The percent of accounts recv. Method to estimate bad debts ---
    One Dec 31 2005 - outstanding accts recv of $55,000 with 2% estimated to be uncollectable.

Then I have to prepare the adjusting entry to record these bad debts expense for the year with the assumption that the allowance for "doubtful accounts" has the following:

#1 - A $415.00 credit balance before the adjustment
    #2 - A $291 debit balance before the adjustments

Now what I can get so far is
    Dec 31, 2005 - Bad Debts Expense -- Debit - $1,100
    Dec 31, 2005 - Allowance for Doubtful Accounts - $1,100
    To record estimated bad debts

But that is it I have tried to do the second part and it looks all wrong
    Someone please HELP!! :eek: :eek:
    goldenbutterfly Posts: 63, Reputation: 8

Apr 15, 2007, 06:30 PM
    The result of the % of accounts receivable is the required balance of Allowance for Doubtful Accounts. Allowance for Doubtful Accounts is a contra-asset account which has its normal balance on the credit side.

$1,100 is the required ending balance of Allowance for Doubtful Accounts. You can now make the adjustments to make 1) the credit balance of $415 and 2) the debit balance of $291 meet the required credit balance of $1100.

Send us your answers and we'll check.

Apr 15, 2007, 06:35 PM
    Sorry I should have thought to put my answer down!

Ok this is what my journal entry looks like:

Dec 31, 2005 - Doubtful Accts before adjustment - Credit - $415.00
    Dec 31, 2005 - Doubtful Accts before adjustment - Debit - 291.00

That is all I have.. that is why it looks so incorrect to me, thank you for taking the time to help me!
    goldenbutterfly Posts: 63, Reputation: 8

Apr 15, 2007, 06:48 PM
    Sorry, I am kind of confused with your answer:) I believe that #1 and #2 are two separate questions.

#1 Since you already have 415 in the credit balance of allowance, you will only need an additional 685 to meet the 1,100 required balance.

dr. Bad Debts Expense 685
    Cr. Allowance for doubtful accounts 685

#2 Since you have a debit balance of 291, you have to make an adjustment of 1391 to meet 1,100 on the credit side

dr. Bad Debts Expense 1391
    Cr. Allowance for doubtful accounts 1391

Hope these help!

Apr 15, 2007, 07:21 PM
    That's is OK! Thank you so much!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend will no longer let me perform oral on her [ 14 Answers ]

My girlfriend has recently stopped allowing me to perform oral on her. We used to perform at least 5X per week and never had any complaints from her. As a matter of fact, I know I am very good because I always get compliments from my GF's and they often ask "where did you learn to do that" I...

Direct3D does not have enough display memory to perform the operation. [ 1 Answers ]

I tried to run a game on my PC recently, but I got an error message when I tried to run it. The message that came up was the following:Could not create device for Direct3D. Direct3D does not have enough display memory to perform the operation." Is there something I need to download, or do I...

Doesn't perform any Power on Self Test [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a ECS motherboard 3 months ago it works fine. And till this problems comes, it doesn't perform any Power on Self Test. It has a display. I can't even enter the bios setup. How could I fix this? Please help me... I'm a new user here

Journal entry [ 3 Answers ]

How do I post the following entries: - A count of supplies indicated that $120 of supplies had been used. I think that nothing gets recorded but I am not sure. -the owner purchased a new computer for $6,100 with personal funds. (the computer will be used exclusively for...

Did John Stamos' Band Perform at a Orange County High School [ 1 Answers ]

I need help from the general public on this one! My girfriend's sister best friend says John Stamos and his band played at her 1984 high school prom. I've known her to tell some big whopper lies in the past, but I'm feeling some truth in her story this time. I think the high school was Saddle Back...

View more questions Search