Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plumty27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2016, 04:52 AM
    Damsel in Distress!
    My immersion heater switch gets hot and crackles - why?
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2016, 05:07 AM
    what is an immersion heater? where are you putting it? how hot is it getting?
    does it cost less than $20?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 13, 2016, 05:12 AM
    Don't use it til the electricians are here! Sounds like shorting wires in the switch that could start a fire. Maybe just burn out or blow a fuse, but still.
    What brand is it and how many watts/volts?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 13, 2016, 07:12 AM
    Okay, are we talking about an industrial immersion heater or a household immersion heater, such as one you would use to heat the oil in a household deep fryer?

Apart from that, the crackling and the switch getting hot are very bad signs. They indicate that the innards of the switch have loose connections. The crackling is most likely the bad connections bouncing together, the heat is caused by the contacting points arcing (sparks).

Either replace the switch or get a new immersion heater (smartest thing to do)
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2016, 09:02 AM
    Maybe the type you sticking a cup of water? Toss it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Damsel in distress [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! Okay this is my story a year ago I began to like this guy, really like him. (know one knew) My friend starts to date him, I was upset but I got over it I thought it wasn't meant to be. Eventually me and the guy becomes friends again and those feelings start coming back. We started hanging out...

Damsel in distress - how to know whether to put in a cleanout in yard? [ 9 Answers ]

First time consulting the collective wisdom. I am a homeowner - small home - built in 1950 - in neighborhood known for flooding. Neighbors have had problems - me, nope. No sump pump - nada. Had a camera scope out my main pipe leading to the street. Guy did it from inside my house where...

Damsel in distress [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... I will try to be concise and to the point... My kitchen sink became stopped up so I am trying to fix it myself. So far I have been able to stick 25 ft. of a tape measure all the way down the clean out drain but when I went to put a hose in the pipe to try to blast out whatever was clogging...

Damsel in Distress re formuleas for severance payments [ 1 Answers ]

I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out. I want to know what formula to put in if I am caculating severance payments based on years and months service. I have managed to figure out how to calculate the years, but am stuck on calculating the months. What I want to know is how to input the...

Hairlight distress [ 4 Answers ]

I go to the beauty shop and ask for gold highlights. They always turn out white. How can I get the highlights gold and to stay gold. I want yellow gold. Don't want white hair because I am 58, I need shampoo or color advice.:confused: How can I get yellow gold highlights instead of white ones?

View more questions Search