Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leighmax15 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2016, 11:41 AM
    Failure to launch
    I live in tipton county, tn. Do I have to actually evict my 21 yr old son? I want him to move out and he won't. He does not pay rent or any other bills. He says I have to give him a 30 day notice and then take him to court. But I am not his landlord and get is not a tenant.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 11, 2016, 12:25 PM
    This is from years ago:
    "I also live in TN and my 20 yr old son won't move out....He went to police after we told him to move out and they said we had to let him in the house because of some woderful law stating that if someone has lived or resided in your home for 4 or more days they have established residency there, you have to go to court house and get 30 day eviction notice served on him......
    The police officer I spoke to said I had to let him in so I said fine, I have removed his bedroom door and turned off his cable and internet, I might have to let him in but I don't have to pay for his utilities or extra living expenses."

In many locales, it takes more than 4 days to establish tenancy, such as receiving mail in your name, or 30 days, but in general the courts favor the adult relative. So your son, unfortunately, is right. Put the Notice to Vacate in writing on the house, hand him a copy, and try to have witnesses. It doesn't have to be in a special format. Be sure to date it and say that he has 30 days to vacate.
    THEN go to the courthouse to get the eviction forms to have filled out by the end of the 30 days.

BUT if he breaks any laws in your home such as drugs, OR if he is violent toward any of you, then you can get a restraining order from the police station, and that is immediate, and you don't have to evict.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 11, 2016, 04:54 PM
    As noted while he is not a tenant he is a resident. And as such he has to be removed legally through the eviction process. He is probably banking on your not wanting to go through that process. But show him your resolve by giving him a Vacate notice. If he calls you out and doesn't leave in 30 days, then go to court for an eviction order. Once he realizes you mean business he will probably leave.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The unsanctioned launch [ 19 Answers ]

I'm waiting fro the protests and the angst from the US about the Indian missile launch. Didn't they know or perhaps they had no intention of sanctioning India. Once again the double standard is evident even though this launch moves us far closer to nuclear confrontation than did the NK failed...

Rocket Launch [ 4 Answers ]

Hey everyone! I have this physics problem I'm trying to solve, and I'm not sure if I did it right. Could someone tell me if its right? The problem is: A rocket is launched at an angle of 53 degrees above the horizontal with an initial speed of 75 m/s. It moves for 25s along its initial line...

Failure to Launch [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, First time posting... hope someone out there can help :D 1stly... some system info.. AMD Athlon 64bit 3200+ Socket 939 - NF4ST-A9 v1.0 mobo 1g DDR 2100 Ram 2x IDE 7300rpm HDD

Can't Launch a CD on My Computer [ 1 Answers ]

Have a Panasonic CF-47 Toughbook with Windows 98. I want to view some pictures on my CD but when I launch the CD from My Computer, I keep getting the message: D:\ is not accessible; The device is not ready. Retry. Well, I retry and nothing happens. I might mention that I have Kodak Easy Share...

View more questions Search