Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abbyoscar77 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2016, 07:14 PM
    Can someone give me advice on Trichotillomania
    I have trichotillomania, trich for short. In case you didn't know it a hair pulling disorder. I am slowly losing hair and now it's just at the point where I can not stop. Does anyone have any ideas that aren't going to a therapist and taking medication. I never really went to the doctors and told them about this I've only shared it with my family so I can't really say I have it but I know I do. I pull out my hair which is what trichotillomania is so I think I have it. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could stop? Please, I really need answers.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 6, 2016, 07:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by abbyoscar77 View Post
    I have trichotillomania, trich for short. In case you didn't know it a hair pulling disorder. I am slowly losing hair and now it's just at the point where I can not stop. Does anyone have any ideas that aren't going to a therapist and taking medication. I never really went to the doctors and told them about this I've only shared it with my family so I can't really say I have it but I know I do. I pull out my hair which is what trichotillomania is so I think I have it. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could stop? Please, I really need answers.
    I have read up on this particular problem. The main help I found was to do something with your hand(s)/fingers. When you feel the urge coming on, move your body to play a video game or a computer game or write a story in Word (typing), get busy washing dishes or cleaning the bathroom or scooping cat litter and washing out the litter pans, or take a walk around the block/exercise/ride your bike. Also, get your hair cut and styled in a cute do that you don't want to mess up by pulling out hair and creating a bald spot.

Dec 6, 2016, 07:52 PM
    The problem is I usually do it when I'm concentrating like doing homework or on my phone.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 6, 2016, 07:56 PM
    The problem is I usually do it when I'm concentrating like doing homework or on my phone.
    Then move! You know you are doing it. Get busy with something else.

Put on thick winter gloves when on your phone.

Dec 6, 2016, 08:09 PM
    I try to stop I usually just start doing chores to stop myself.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 6, 2016, 08:28 PM
    I try to stop I usually just start doing chores to stop myself.
    Yes. Be sure to keep your hands busy.One person puts a rubberband on her wrist and snaps it when she feels the urge to play with her hair.

Dec 6, 2016, 08:32 PM
    That's actually a really good idea
    Luck0rN0t Posts: 263, Reputation: 45

Jan 4, 2017, 11:36 AM
    My daughter got a fidget cube - you can find them on eBay, Amazon - they keep your hands busy and are cheap. Might be worth a try? In Stock! ADHD Fidget Cube Anxiety Attention Stress Relief Stocking Stuffer Toys | eBay

Mar 8, 2017, 03:42 PM
    Thank you so much, all of you have been so helpful. The fidget cube actually partially cured it, which I'm very surprised about.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 8, 2017, 04:44 PM
    And you have helped others by coming back here to say so. Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why can't I let go, please someone give me advice [ 1 Answers ]

Okay so this guy I was friends with for seven years, ended up dating me last April. I was in love with this person for 7 years when we finally dated my feelings grew, I even traveled to Nevada to be with him, I stayed there until about August. When I got home everything was still great with us....

Please give me advice. [ 2 Answers ]

I have moved to a new town, and I have never been really good with making friends. I started going to my new college and I talked with some people. I have hung out with maybe 2 or 3, one that I talk to through texting. The others ones... I think maybe I scared them off. Only one was a girl. I...

Please Give Advice [ 3 Answers ]

I don't really know how to ask this question and I'm a little embarrassed to be asking it, all I ask is that you do not judge me. I'm scared and there is no one I can really ask about this. I had sexual intercourse twice last week and everything was okay for about two days or so, but then I noticed...

Can anyone give me advice? [ 8 Answers ]

I have been with my partner for nearly 4 years now and I love him to death(sometimes to much) he is the most sweetest boyfriend and does everything a loving boyfriend should. Problem is I don't really get along with his family, I go in the house and say hello how are you... they answer and that's...

Can someone give me advice please? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 92 civic hatch that won't start. I was told it was the distributor, so I put a new one in. now she cranks but still doesn't start up. I don't know if it's the distributor cables are on wrong or if there is another situation with it. Can someone give me advice please?

View more questions Search