Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    debrajoytaylor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2016, 09:03 AM
    Vented fireplace inserts or not
    Hi I would like to put a gas fireplace in my home. My problem is should I get a vented one or not. What is the difference in safety?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2016, 11:19 AM
    Do you have an existing fireplace and chimney? Vented units, unless in a glassed in FP are primarily for looks unless you have a double walled unit with a fan. Non vented are for heat. You cannot put a nonvented in a bedroom. If you have no FP to begin with your options are limited.
    Vented units are safer even though nonvented have auto shut off with O2 depletion sensors. You cannot put a set of vented gas logs in a non vented FP. You can put nonvented log sets in a vented FP. Tell us what you have and what you are trying to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vented gas fireplace with noxious odor [ 2 Answers ]

We moved into a new home with a heat and glow vented fireplace which gives off an odor tha tburns the throat and irritates the tongue every time we use it. They have changed the screen checked behind the box with a scope and reducd the level of gas coming in. could the logs be causing the...

Glass-less vented gas fireplace [ 5 Answers ]

Can I remove the glass from a vented natural gas fireplace? It has a mesh screen. There is little heat coming from the fireplace. It is a Heat 'n Glo 36 inch. I would like to remove the glass and run the fireplace to get more heat in the house. We used to have a vent-less and I don't see much...

Vented fireplace and gas logs [ 8 Answers ]

Let me start by saying, I know absolutely nothing about fireplaces. My husband and I are new home owners with 2 small children and we could not wait until it got cold outside so we could use the fireplace. I have lit the fireplace maybe 10 times this year and I noticed yesterday there was a lot of...

Vented gas fireplace fumes [ 2 Answers ]

Our direct vented gas fireplace still has an awful smell even after 20 hours of burning off the smell (the manufacturer suggested 6 to 8 hours of intense heat). The installation has been checked and is okay. The fumes are from the coating on the metal. Has anyone experienced this? We are ready...

View more questions Search