Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenniandcaleb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2016, 08:22 PM
    Tension and compression forces
    Why do suppose engineers chose to use tension forces to pull elevators up rather than compression forces to push them up?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2016, 08:41 PM
    Ever try pushing a rope?
    jenniandcaleb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2016, 10:07 PM
    Although you are trying to be witty, you are falling short... but then again there's one in every crowd that has to comment a ridiculous post when they have no clue of the real answer. Lol A 'rope' was never mentioned in my question and has nothing to do with an elevator... fyi
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 4, 2016, 06:29 AM
    I disagree with the basic premise of the question - there are plenty of elevators that use a hydraulic ram (i.e. piston) to push upward on the bottom of the elevator car. They are especially common for freight elevators, given the tremendous pushing forces that hydraulic systems can generate. But think about the limitations of such a system - the size of the piston is proportional to the height of the lift, so it becomes impractical to use such a system for a lift of more than 5 or 6 stories. Also think about the comparative energy efficiency of a rope and counterweight system - it takes very little force to move an raise an elevator car while lowering a counterweight.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2016, 09:14 AM
    Because many places need Handicap access, you may need an elevator. N Most, 2-4 story buildings Do Not use a cabled elevator, they use hydraulic, or as you say "compression".
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2016, 05:21 PM
    Question: Tension and compression forces{"why": "has nothing to do with thw question asked", "source": "https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/physics/tension-compression-forces-829143.html#post3786815"}

Rather ignorant feedback for what actually ammounts to a homework question.

Quote Originally Posted by jenniandcaleb View Post
    Although you are trying to be witty, you are falling short... but then again there's one in every crowd that has to comment a ridiculous post when they have no clue of the real answer. Lol A 'rope' was never mentioned in my question and has nothing to do with an elevator... fyi
    Ever read the homeworkl rules...why is it the Noobs who are always the most ignorant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

two forces 25N and 15N act on a particl. If the angle between the 2 forces is x = sin [ 1 Answers ]

two forces 25N and 15N act on a particl. If the angle between the 2 forces is x = sin-4/5. find the magnitude and direction of the resultant if a) x is acude b) x is obtuse

Forces [ 1 Answers ]

A 10kg box sitting on a horizontal surface is pulled by a 5.0N force. A 3.0N FRICTIONAL FORCE RETARDS THE MOTION,WHAT IS THE ACCELERATION OF THE OBJECT

Old compression nut and compression sleeve [ 27 Answers ]

We have a shut off valve with a slow leak, about a teaspoonful every 10 hours. I want to replace the valve but the copper pipe to which it's attached is too short not allowing me to cut off the old compression sleeve. It's to my understanding that I may use the old compression nut and...

Tension and compression formulas? [ 3 Answers ]

Hey is there any formulas that find tension and compression on an object? Or any hints on how to find compression and tension on a deflecting beam? Thanks heaps! :)

Other Forces [ 2 Answers ]

Question: Besides its weight, a 2.70 kg object is subjected to one other constant force. The object starts from rest and in 1.20 s experiences a displacement of (4.20 - 3.30) m, where the direction of is the upward vertical direction. Determine the other force. Where do I begin??

View more questions Search