Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 2, 2016, 01:32 PM
    Bad menstrual cramps
    My teen daughter just got her second period ever, and the cramps are really bad. It's been a while since I had to go through this, but as a young teen and early adult I have severe cramps with every period, so I well remember how it feels. Sadly I don't remember anything really helping other than waiting for the period to be over.

She's home today because she's literally doubled over in pain, woke me up at 4am to ask for Motrin, which didn't help. She has the heating pad on her stomach, she's tried a hot bath, everything, and nothing is even taking the edge off.

She is literally in tears, and she's a pretty tough kid.

Any tips from young people on this site that have gone through the same thing? Or tips from others that have remedies that worked for them? I'm beside myself. I hate to see her in pain, but nothing seems to be helping.
    ZeFreak Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Dec 3, 2016, 02:49 AM
    Hi,

I have the same problem. Surviving the cramps is a mixture of things... First avoid, sugar and caffeine, these increase heart rate and actually make cramps worse.

Second, Chamomile tea. It can work wonders.

A warm bath can sometimes help, but warmth doesn't take away what's causing the pain...

So, try anti-inflammatory medicine rather than pain killers. Try to avoid food that make cramps worse. Try to increase foods that calming and anti-inflammatory properties(Tumeric, Cumin, etc).

If the pain persists no matter what you have tried, your Daughter may have cysts or another problem that causes the immense pain. My sister has re-occurring cysts and has had them surgically removed many times.

Another thing that has helped me is essential oils... there is a site called hippyhomemaker and she makes blends that help for cramps.

Hope this helps and I hope she finds some relief.
    Pets Expert

Dec 3, 2016, 03:23 PM
    Thank you ZeFreak, I will definitely try everything you suggested. Hate seeing her in so much pain.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 3, 2016, 04:31 PM
    In the 70s, I took dolomite (mineral) and it worked wonders - for a while.
    I don't know why it fell out of favor except for that. There were scares about it containing lead from some companies. It's calcium, magnesium and other minerals. Many say that magnesium is key in all sorts of pain conditions and that we don't get enough of it. You could even just take that supplement. You could get a full battery of blood tests for minerals.

Pelvic tilts help many.
    Having two heating pads, one front and one back, is good too.

I'm a fan of cannabis THC/CBD oils. There are vaginal suppositories. Did we have this conversation? You are in Canada, so.... over the border, but too risky to bring back.
    I have obtained the oils illegally and put them on cookies. Best thing in the world for pain. You need both oils to work together, even if the CBD is more for pain and THC is more for getting high.

FIVE MG is plenty! A typical dose is 40 mg.
    Pets Expert

Dec 3, 2016, 06:01 PM
    Thanks Joy. Not sure about being able to get cannabis oils here unless we have a medical license to use it, and we'd have to find out if my daughter has a medical reason to use it first. I can get pot very easily if I want to, but giving pot to my 14 year old would not be something I'm comfortable with. I'm a huge believer in the power of cannabis oils to relieve pain and cure illness, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to get here. At least as far as I know, since I haven't really ever tried to find it.

I am going to make an appointment with our family doctor next week, have a few tests done. I had major issues from my first period at 14 until well into my 20's when I had my first pelvic exam, and that's when they discovered a tumor and uterus issues that were the main cause of my horrible cramps. They cauterized the tumor (not fun, very painful), and my uterus (it was apparently the wrong shape), and after that my horrific periods ceased to exist. I'm hoping that for Syd it's something as simple as that.

A good friend that's a doctor in the US suggested putting her on birth control as it can help with menstrual cramps. Only concern for me is that she has leg issues, rheumatoid arthritis in both legs, and they think she may also have Lupus. Not sure how the pill has advanced since I last took it, but I remember there being a concern with blood clots, especially in the legs, so I'd be very worried about it with Syd and her leg issues.

I will definitely try magnesium pills. I'm a big fan of anything natural, not so much anything prescribed by doctors, but I'm willing to give anything a try at this point. Poor kid is on day three of her second period, and she's absolutely miserable. I remember that feeling all too well. Just want her to get help way before I did, because I went through many years of misery before I found out that I really didn't have to just grin and bear it all those years, there was help.

Thank you so much for the info. I really really appreciate it. :)
    loardeva Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2016, 06:21 AM
    Yeah I have also gone through this situation. And after taking consultation with doctor my problem is solved. So, I think you should take her to a renowned gyne doctor.

Yeah I have also gone through this situation. And after taking consultation with doctor my problem is solved. So, I think you should take her to a renowned gyne doctor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unbelievable menstrual cramps [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I'm 37 years old had my tubes tied six and half years ago. Never before durging my period did I have cramps. Since my last child six years ago. My periods are unbareable the pain is unbelievable it hurts to do anything . Ive done the warm bath ib profine heating pads you name it I've done...

Menstrual like cramps [ 1 Answers ]

Im 14 weeks and cramps woke me up at 5a.m , but no bleeding . What could this be ? Or mean?

Menstrual cramps [ 0 Answers ]

I am a 49 yr old female and every month instead of experiencing my regular lower abdominal cramps, I get bad upper gastric area pai, similar to what ulcer pain would feel like. Is this a normal change with aging?

I have bad menstrual cramps with nausea 2 -3 days before my period starts, why? [ 2 Answers ]

I get severe stomach cramps with nausea 2-3 days before I begin my period. For the last three months the cramps have gotten worse.. what can be the causes of this?

Menstrual cramps [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, I need some help. I have this close friend who's having her periods... She told me she's got these pains today. Is thre anything I can do to help her. I really would like to help.

View more questions Search