Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ndaceko Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2016, 10:09 PM
    Motion
    Hi everybody, please what is the simplest way to derive the 2nd, 3rd and 4th equations of motion. I don't seems to understand it. Please
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 1, 2016, 06:39 AM
    Please clarify what you mean by 2nd, 3rd, and 4th equations of motion - perhaps you mean these, which apply for the case of constant acceleration:

(1)
    (2)
    (3)

Also, I assume you are a high school student, so not familiar with methods of calculus, correct?

OK, consider an object moving with constant acceleration. If you plot velocity versus time you get the attached graph. The first equation comes from the definition of acceleration: acceleration = change in velocity per unit time, which is equivalent to the slope of the graph:

Rearrange to get

The second equation comes from the fact that distance traveled is equal to the area under the plot of velocity versus time. Note that the area is a trapezoid, and from basic geometry the area of that trapezoid is equal to one half the sum of the two sides times the base:

Simplify and you get:

The third equation comes from combining the previous two equations. From the first we can solve for t:

Then sub this value for 't' into the second equation:

With a bit of manipulation this simplifies to

Hope this helps.

Name:  v vs t.JPG
Views: 138
Size:  16.7 KB

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help Responding to a Motion and preparing a motion to dismiss in Maine Family Court [ 2 Answers ]

I settled the custody case 18 months ago after 3 different cases were opened over a 5 year time frame by my ex-girlfriend involving visitation and support. The case 18 months ago was a move case where we settled allowing my ex to move my daughter from Massachusetts to Waterville, Maine (near...

CA: Filing a second motion after filing Notice of Motion & Motion for Child Sup. Mod. [ 2 Answers ]

In California Family Court, I recently filed a Notice of Motion and Motion for Simplified Modification of Order to reduce child support due to a job loss followed by a new job at much lower pay. I have a court date on February 23, 2010. Going through prior court documents from a hearing in 2008,...

Motion to set aside default, motion to set aside final judgment and motion to set ano [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I'M in Florida Jacksonville, I have a small problem, I read the time wrong to appear for my small claims court trial and arrived at 11:15am but is was scheduled at 11am 9/3/09. I tried to explain but did not get anywhere, so I went downstairs to the courthouse and filed a motion to set...

Florida Law Of Civil Procedure ~ Motion To Produce - Motion For Trial [ 8 Answers ]

This lawsuit is regarding a cosigned loan originated in 1999 which we believe to have been satisfied in full. We also believe it's outside the SOL and many other things, but that's not the issue at hand. The issue at hand is current actions. On January 29, 2008 we filed two motions: 1....

Need motion in opposition to defendants motion for summary judgement & TO STOP Thief [ 5 Answers ]

Good day all,received a motion in the mail "plaintiff's motion for default judgement as to defendents xxxxxx,xxxxxx,xxxxxx, and judgement on the pledings as to defendant xxxxxxx (state gov agency that sold the tax deed ) this case is about a overlooked tax lein sold against my grandmothers house ...

View more questions Search