Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cheybernetics Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2016, 02:50 PM
    Brass plate in living room floor
    There's a brass plate in the middle of the floor in our living room. We are assuming it's an electrical outlet but we cannot get it open. The slot is about an inch and a half in length but not very deep. There is a midpoint where it turns easily but if we turn it to the left or the right it tightens up. How do I open this darn thing!?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2016, 03:28 PM
    Post a picture. If it is a floor outlet cover, it should also have a regular screw inn the middle, like a wall outlet. Remove that. Otherwise, keep screwing counterclockwise, maybe with a bigger screwdriver.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 25, 2016, 04:25 PM
    I had a place with one. It probably isn't solid brass, and is rusted. Put a tiny drop of oil on the edge, maybe 2. Use something wider than a screwdriver, like a quarter.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2016, 08:30 AM
    Could be Network, Electrical, and or phone. May be other screws to remove whole cover. Blaster, or any lubricant should help, don't try too much force with too small a screwdriver to prevent deforming.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 1, 2016, 09:13 AM
    Could also be a latch arrangement.

Move the cover to it's loosest position (middle of arc) and see if the lifts off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Open pipe under living room floor [ 3 Answers ]

I just pulled up the floor in my living room and found an open pipe in the ground. It's white pvc and is almost full of water. I tried sucking out the water with a Shop Vac, but it filled right back up. I'm thinking it's some kind of drain pipe. Is it safe to plug this pipe up and fill it with...

Have a loft overlooking living room. How would I go about extending the floor? [ 4 Answers ]

Want to enclose the area, except for an opening where you climb up.

Have odd floor,sunken living room and family room and want it all one level [ 3 Answers ]

My living room and family room are sunken with ceramic tile on top, How would I make it one leverl?

Could I have a pipe leak under my living room floor? [ 4 Answers ]

I have noticed that when I walk over a small area of my living room floor the carpet feels damp/cool. I thought it was maybe a water spill from my toddler, but it's been over 24 hours and in fact feels as though the damp/cool area is spreading a little. There is no squishiness in the carpet, nor...

Keeping living room/floor above a garage warm [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all. I live in a house where the living room is directly above a garage with a new insulate garage door. The living room floor is insulated. However on really cold days the air infiltration through the floor above the garage is ridiculous. What can I do to better isolate that space above...

View more questions Search