Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Homeimprover111 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2016, 02:36 PM
    Recessed lighting cable length
    I am adding additional recessed lighting to an existing set of three. The jump in cable length to the additional set will upward of 25' because of running around existing floor joists with out cutting into ceiling. Is this length OK? Safe?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2016, 08:15 PM
    I threw some numbers in the Southwire calculator. Figuring 5 amps load
    Voltage drop: 0.63
    Voltage drop percentage: 0.53%
    Voltage at the end: 119.37

This is new, not added but unless you are adding a large number of high wattage bulbs, you should be OK. Use LCD bulbs and you won't have any issues for sure.

Wire Material Copper
    Wire Size 14AWG
    Voltage 120
    Phase AC single phase
    Number of conductors single set of conductors
    Distance* feet 25
    Load current Amps 5
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2016, 05:08 AM
    The cable size you must use depends on the size of the circuit breaker or fuse supplying this branch circuit...
    If the circuit breaker is a 15 ampere then #14 AWG is acceptable, if the circuit breaker is 20 ampere then you must use #12 AWG cable.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2016, 08:24 AM
    ma0641 meant to say LED, Not LCD, Good info.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2016, 12:17 PM
    WHAT! No LCD lightbulbs?? Good catch! Thanks. BTW, Lowe's had 60 watt equivalent LED bulbs on Black Friday for 89 cents.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recessed Lighting [ 8 Answers ]

Need help with Recessed Lighting. The included picture is an electrical diagram I used in wiring up some recessed lighting. The switches used are 600w Dimmer Switches with push on/off feature. The problem is that on the center switch the dimming feature burns out consistently but I am still able...

Recessed lighting [ 2 Answers ]

I am just installing, I want to install in a simple hallway 18' long, 3-4 lights. I just wanted to see how many and what size 4",5" or 6". 3 or 4 lights. There is only one mini chandalier.

Recessed lighting [ 7 Answers ]

I have installed several recessed lights in my basement finishing project all were wired up and running for weeks before I finished the drywall. Now I have one that is dead, I took the center piece out that you screw the bulb into to see if there were any bad connection but there are really none to...

Recessed lighting [ 1 Answers ]

How can I determine the maximum wattage for a recessed lighting fixture? The fixture has a sticker inside listing wattages of 60, 75, 100 and 150. Does this mean it can handle any of these bulbs?

View more questions Search