Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shifftali Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2016, 09:10 AM
    GFCI breaker keeps tripping
    My GFCI breaker (15 amps) keeps tripping. I am 99.99% positive that it only goes to one receptacle in my enclosed back porch. I've taken out the receptacle (which was one of those fancy outdoor proof receptacles and inspected the wires, the box, and the surrounding areas and there are no signs of cross over or exposed wire or anything. The GFCI in the breaker still trips even when its not attached to anything. Upon inspecting the breaker there is a small area around the load screw terminal that is white, but I cant tell if its corrosive material or not. Additionally, I've tested the GFCI breaker for continuity and it reads infinite. I cant even test for voltage at the breaker since it immediately trips.
    My question is: Do I have a faulty GFCI breaker that needs to be replaced? Is there anything else I can check for? Am I missing something...? Thank you for your help!
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2016, 10:29 AM
    First, disconnect the branch circuit from the breaker. With nothing connected reset the breaker. If it resets and holds test for voltage.
    If it stays on and has voltage there is a wiring error...
    Let us know what happens,

Nov 14, 2016, 12:28 PM
    HI thanks for your response. Before I attempt, I'd like to clarify. When you said: "If it stays on and has voltage there is a wiring error..." can you explain this - if it stays on after I reset it (after I disconnect it completely and then rewire it as you said), then where would the "wiring error" be? IF it stays on and has voltage wouldnt it mean that the problem is fixed? Also, If it does not hold, and continues to trip after I rewire it back into the circuit panel, would that mean that the GFCI is fried and needs to be replaced?

Thanks! I will let you know what happens!

Nov 14, 2016, 12:36 PM
    HI thanks for your response. Before I attempt, I'd like to clarify. When you said: "If it stays on and has voltage there is a wiring error..." can you explain this - if it stays on after I reset it (after I disconnect it completely and then rewire it as you said), then where would the "wiring error" be? IF it stays on and has voltage wouldn't it mean that the problem is fixed? Also, If it does not hold, and continues to trip after I rewire it back into the circuit panel, would that mean that the GFCI is fried and needs to be replaced?

Thanks! I will let you know what happens!
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 14, 2016, 02:07 PM
    You are looking at this backwards.

If you remove the load off of the breaker and then reset the breaker and the breaker does not trip, the problem is isolated to the wiring of the load or the load itself.

If you remove the load, reset the breaker and the breaker trips, then the breaker is defective.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2016, 04:21 AM
    Thanks Don, yes that is correct...
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2016, 07:40 AM
    May be repeating some from above.
    With hot and neutral from load side disconnected, if GFCI still trips(wont hold) it is bad. If it holds, you would check voltage on Breakers Load Hot and Neutral. If you measure between the GFCIs Hot and Neutral bar or ground, it may trip, depending on the resistance of the meter, A Wiggy WILL trip a GFI if measuring between Hot and Neutral or ground(not GFIs neutral). You also want to check continuity on the load side conductors at the panel with receptacle removed. Should be infinite, also need to check continuity between conductors and ground. You likely? may have an additional outside receptacle that you may be missing? Good Info above as well. Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFCI breaker tripping (hot tub) [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've read the other posts on this topic but wanted to ask for my specific situation. I wired this spa myself and it has worked well for over a year with only a few incidences of tripping here and there. Now I can't get the breaker to stay on without tripping for more than a day at most. When I...

Gfci breaker tripping when you plug something in. [ 6 Answers ]

My GFCI breaker keeps tripping when I pug something in. Even when I plug in a power extension. Everything seems fine when it is tested, and I get 120 volts on the meter.

GFCI breaker tripping mysteriously [ 21 Answers ]

I recently installed some outdoor receptacles for stock tank de-icers for a horse farm. They are regular 120V receptacles, but since I have to power six 500-watt heaters at six different locations, I chose to run them on two different circuits. Otherwise I would have had to use really large (and...

GFCI breaker tripping [ 10 Answers ]

I installed a hot tub and when I connect the white wire from the gfci breaker to the neutral/ground bar it trips, otherwise the tub runs fine

Gfci breaker + outlet in same circuit.breaker tripping [ 4 Answers ]

I have a gfci breaker for a bathroom and there is an additional gfci outlet in the bathroom on the same circuit. The breaker was tripping intermittently over the past week and now will not re-engage. Should I suspect a faulty breaker or is it better to troubleshoot the circuit first? The...

View more questions Search