Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DanielleSpokane Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2016, 09:11 AM
    Electrical circuit
    I'm stumped! About 2 weeks ago our breaker box was flooded in our basement from a pipe. As a repercussion one circuit from our panel lost electricity. We replaced all the flooded breakers in the box just to be safe. Well, that circuit keeps losing electricity. It never trips the breaker. Looking at it closer we noticed that the smaller 20 amps are fed to two larger 60 amp breakers. The breakers zig zag back and forth on the panel where they are then connected. It now seems the whole connection is being lost (all of those circuits) therefore the downstairs lights and outlets but not upstairs. As mentioned, the breakers never trip, happens different times of day or night whether in use or not, different lengths of time, and randomly comes back on. What could possibly be going on?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2016, 10:18 AM
    Its not one continuous wire that goes to everything in that circuit... rather more like that goes to the first outlet or switch on the leg... the next segment attached to that switch or breaks and so one. If water got high enough to flood your breaker panel... you likely had those get wet too and got some corrosion and have a connection that's no longer electrically sound. I'd go through everything one by one to make sure.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2016, 10:39 AM
    I strongly advise you to replace your circuit breaker panel. The panel is subject to degradation from water as well as the circuit breakers.
    Why take a chance with this?
    Replace the panel with a licensed electrician and let him troubleshoot the why...

H.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2016, 12:03 PM
    The breakers zig zag back and forth... They are designed that way. If they didn't do that you would have a hard time getting 240VAC since the 2 circuits have to be on separate feeds. I would be very cautious of DIY in this case.
    smaller 20 amps are fed to two larger 60 amp breakers
    Unless you are talking about a subpanel, the 60 Amp breakers are not feeding the 20's unless someone failed wiring 101.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 13, 2016, 06:16 PM
    If this is an older split bus panel, then it is possible that the 60 amp breakers are feeding the lower half of the panelboard.

Would you be kind enough to supply a picture of the panelboard in question.

Also, as stated above, if this panelboard was damaged by a burst pipe it would be very prudent of you to have the panel replaced by a licensed electrican.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2016, 08:15 PM
    Ran into a house down in the Keys, Receptacle Boxes were about 16" above the floor, Water somehow flooded one box, and filled about 8 1900 boxes(elec boxes), and with the electricity and time the metal conduit running through the concrete walls, closed in on the wire and formed an inpenetrable conduit, can't even pull out 2 conductors out of conduit. You may want to verify no water is sitting in conduits. Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical Circuit Issues - multiple circuit breakers turn off the same items [ 1 Answers ]

Issue: Home built in 1972 and we still have original electrical panel. There are spots for 20 circuits, and currently we have 11 - 20 filled with a combination of single and double circuit breakers. Odd circuits on the left, even on the right. We have come to discover that multiple circuits can...

Electrical Circuit [ 2 Answers ]

There are two outlet boxes. One is inside has mostly 115 but also The oven on a separate breaker. The outside box is all 240 breakers Dryer,pump. Easier to get to than the inside box. Can you run a 115 line dedicated to the xmas lights alone. In the outside box. Plenty of space and...

I need a electrical circuit wiring diagram with the following items in the circuit. [ 21 Answers ]

I have a question that I need answered. I need the folliwing circuit drawn up and emailed to me at: [email protected], before Wednesday, March 28, 2012. Thanks... It would be greatly appreciated. The circuit I need drawn up and emailed to me needs to include the following items in the...

Electrical circuit [ 3 Answers ]

If I want to add an outlet on a 20 amp circuit should I use a 20 amp outlet & #12 conductor?

Electrical circuit [ 2 Answers ]

How many 6'cN LIGHTS CAN BE PUT ON A 15 mp circuit

View more questions Search