Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ZoeyJoe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2016, 10:37 PM
    Is it more efficient to build a wind turbine powered by solar panel?
    Is it more efficient to build a wind turbine powered by solar panel? The solar energy powering a motor and that motor is connected to the turbine and help it to turns. . and if the wind is strong enough, an electronic device will switch the flow of energy from the solar panel to the battery to additional power supply.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2016, 05:48 AM
    Hi Zoey,
    It appears you already realize that "efficiency" is a big part of the generation design puzzle. (or problem)
    Each of the items you mention, windmill, solar panels, batteries, motors, etc. have an inherent efficiency or in-efficiency. Connecting these items together in a series will compound the in-efficiency of each item for the combined system.

I expect that keeping each of these items separate will keep the in-efficiency's of each generating system to a minimum. Consider improving the propeller blade design of a windmill to use the available wind energy more efficiently or a better material to absorb and produce power from sunlight...
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2016, 07:04 AM
    Solar panels are 22% efficient. Wind turbines are max at 70%. The answer should be obvious.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2016, 07:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoeyJoe View Post
    Is it more efficient to build a wind turbine powered by solar panel? The solar energy powering a motor and that motor is connected to the turbine and help it to turns. . and if the wind is strong enough, an electronic device will switch the flow of energy from the solar panel to the battery to additional power supply.
    Think about it... what is a wind turbine powered by. Should not require much thought.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2016, 07:47 AM
    Do you live in an Area with good Sun(Not a lot of overcast), or in a windy area?
    You would want to Parallel the outputs from Charger/Controller, to store energy from all systems, To carry you through Times of No wind, or no sun? Have running water near by?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help me harness the wind. Question about the electrical component of my wind turbine [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of building my own small wind turbine for a proof-of-concept generator. Ideally, in its finished form, this wind turbine will have the ability to charge a cell phone and keep an LED bulb on for several hours. I already have designs for a rig and the blades for the turbine, it’s...

View more questions Search