Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    techtimdavis Posts: 103, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2016, 08:07 PM
    Why is the battery light still illuminated on 2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty?
    I just had both batteries changed, also changed out the positive cable that goes between both batteries, and starter. The battery light on the dash stays on. I had the new batteries and the alternator tested and they are all good, so why is the battery light still on?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2016, 04:38 AM
    Clean connections on both ends of the "B" wire, going from the alternator to the fuse box, and to the alternator. Also, clean the connections to the 175A mega fuse on the end of the fuse box; afterwards, apply dielectric grease. I would also clean all grounds going to the frame. I use 240 grit abrasive cloth.

Take a multimeter and test the regulated battery voltage, across the battery terminals, while the engine is idling. It should read 14 to 15 volts. If the problem persists, after cleaning all connections, there's a problem with the alternator. In that case, the brushes may be worn down too far. Replacing the external brush/voltage regulator assembly is easy to do, using a Torx 20 bit. It costs about $50 at Autozone.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2016, 08:29 AM
    I believe it may be Brush/Regulator on back of alternator as well? Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 2005 ford super duty won't even turn over. Any ideas? [ 5 Answers ]

My 2005 super duty won't start and I'm out of ideas. I checked the batteries they were good. I replaced them last winter. I had the starter tested and it showed it was working fine. I can make it spin by jumping the starter poles but when I try the key it won't turn over. I can hear the relay click...

Battery dash light barely illuminated - 2003 chevy [ 3 Answers ]

The battery indicator on the dash mounted display is barely lit, indicating a ground?? There are also times when the charging system does not appear to be operating, voltage system decays while engine is operating. Voltage will not increase above 14 volts and slowly decays over time (45 minutes...

2004 Ford F-250 6.0 litre super duty turbo diesel // Block Heater [ 0 Answers ]

I own a 2004 Ford F-250 6.0 litre super duty turbo diesel. The vehicle came equipped with an engine block heater. I would like to know if there is a way to test that block heater. Can it be checked with a meter? I don't know if it is burned out or not. I don't want to go through all that work...

2004 ford 250 super duty [ 1 Answers ]

Having trouble when starting- truck engine does this surge thing about 6 times then starts-after first start it starts right up. Had a power chip in but took it out. When I do a diagnostic it reads these codes:po603 and p2285- can you help me understand this and let me know what needs to be done to...

View more questions Search