Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drjesse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2016, 12:49 PM
    Real estate land contract
    I have / had a verbal lc agreement,
    I paid my payment faithfully for 10 months,
    Now the are calling it rent and want a $250 increase in pymt or I must move?

What should I do?
    What can I do ?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 1, 2016, 01:18 PM
    You have a verbal land contract, i.e. an agreement to purchase the property over time by making payments to the seller, and you don't have a written contract?

Wow. Well, under a land contract you pay the agreed-upon monthly fee until the purchase price is paid off. No, they cannot change the monthly amount. and it's not rent. Since for some reason you entered into this with a verbal agreement only, I strongly suggest you meet with an attorney as quickly as possible to find out what your options are. I hope you have a witness who can testify that you do indeed have a verbal contract. Be sure to save anything that might support your position, such as cancelled checks for the LC payments you've made.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 1, 2016, 01:54 PM
    Really? You entered into a contract to purchase real estate, with only a verbal agreement? This is going to sound harsh but you deserve what's happening to you. This is one of the dumbest things I've heard.

Bottom line is consult an attorney. You need to get any and everything you can that can show to a court there was an agreement to purchase. Otherwise, your agreement is worth the proverbial payment its printed on.

If you can't prove you had this alleged agreement then I would move.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 1, 2016, 03:58 PM
    In the United States, any and all land sales must be in writing. There is no verbal contract for deed.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2016, 06:19 PM
    What ever prompted you to do a verbal? In most places, without backup proof, you do not have a contract. It will be a he said, she said.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a Land Trust be used to buy real estate in Pa [ 1 Answers ]

What is involved in setting up a land trust to buy residentail real estate. I heard there was some restriction on who can be the trustee?

What is the fee involved for suing for breach of real estate of real estate contract [ 1 Answers ]

What is the approximate fee involved for suing the buyer for breach of contract for a real estate deal?

Land Contract Gone Real Bad In Michigan [ 2 Answers ]

:( Ok First Thing First My Name Is Jessica I Sold A Home On Land Contract In Michigan Buyers Will Not Pay I Went Through The Whole Eviction Still No Hope. Just A Judgement They Have 90 Days To Pay But They Can Pay The Past Due For The Judgement And Not The Current Then They...

Upon death of a seller in a real estate contract, how to get a buyer out of contract [ 23 Answers ]

In the state of Missouri, a seller in the middle of a sales contract died. The closing time is not yet lapsed and all the contingencies on the buyer side is fulfilled. There is will in place and an executor named for the estate already. The son (named executor) can not legally sign for the deceased...

Problems with Executor of Estate not signing sales contract for real estate [ 4 Answers ]

My sister and I are the beneficiaries of our mothers will. She died when I was 17 and left my sister and I half of her estate, and named her doctor as the executor. I am now 22 and my sister is 20 (21 next month). We all agreed (verbally) to sell the family house to our father for $125k. He...

View more questions Search