Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jasonmcfarland Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2016, 08:37 PM
    Doorbell transformer
    Doorbell transformer is getting hot when I replaced it and doorbell still isn't working
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2016, 04:12 AM
    Jason, you may have a short circuit. That would cause the transformer to get hot...
    You will need to use an electrical meter with a setting for testing circuit resistance.
    Do you have any electrical knowledge?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2016, 07:39 AM
    Transformers typically get warm. However, are you sure you have primary and secondary wired properly? Did you check the continuity at the pushbutton? If this is an old doorbell system are the plungers free?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Doorbell Transformer Troubleshooting [ 1 Answers ]

When I wired my doorbell transformer to a light in my basement I followed the instructions and wired the white wire to the neutral wire the black wire to the black wire of the power source and the ground wire to the ground in the light. However, the light that the transformer is wired to stays on...

Doorbell [ 2 Answers ]

Can I buy a doorbell that is not lighted and does not glow in the dark?

Hot doorbell transformer [ 9 Answers ]

My doorbell stopped working. I tried replacing the transformer, but noticed it got very hot when I connected the wires that go to the chime. I even bought a second transformer and it is also getting very hot. The wires at the chime and to the door bell ringer are disconnected and hangling...

Doorbell transformer overheated [ 3 Answers ]

A few weeks ago, I came home to find my doorbell button stuck in, and the transformer was very hot. There was also a buzzing noise coming from the chime box. I unstuck the button and eventually the transformer cooled back down. Now, the button is lit up, but when you press it, the chime box...

Doorbell Transformer Location [ 4 Answers ]

I have a doorbell that is not working. I know it is the transformer - but I can't seem to locate the transformer in the house anywhere. It is not by the electrical panel either. How do I go about finding it? Thanks, carol

View more questions Search