Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shivaa44 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2016, 03:34 PM
    Real estate - sale house site and invest into apartment
    Hi, I HAVE house site (I owned it since 12 years)in Bangalore, India. I would like to sell it and invest it to buy rental or residential Apartment in Hyderabad. I understood that I need not pay 20% of capital gain taxes, if I do so. Please explain how I can invest it in rental or residential property and with in what time frame I have to do this exchange, and the procedure.

Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 23, 2016, 03:55 PM
    You need to consult an Indian tax expert. I'm not sure we have anyone here who has that expertise.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Oct 23, 2016, 04:45 PM
    For clarification, you are in the US. It is the property that is in India. You need information on the capital gain tax in the US Tax Code for selling the property and for reinvesting the proceeds in "new" property.

Am I close to correct in my understanding of your question?
    shivaa44 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2016, 06:34 PM
    Yes, I am in US. When I sell the site located in India and reinvest it in residential apartment in India, am I supposed to pay capital gain taxes in India on the sale of my site?

[QUOTE=shivaa44;3784239]Yes, I am in US. When I sell the site located in India and reinvest it in residential apartment in India, am I supposed to pay capital gain taxes in India on the sale of my site? I am asking tax complications in India on the sale of that site when I reinvest into an apartment. Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreigner invest in USA in Real Estate [ 5 Answers ]

1. We open an LLC entity, 2 out of 3 investors are foreigners, one is resident alien . How do we pay tax? Self employment tax, personal income tax, foreign tax? We are from Vietnam.

Foreigner wants to invest in the US Real Estate - Tax Issues [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My friend, who is a Chinese national and living in China, wants to come to the US and invest in some rental properties. Is it better for him to invest as a individual, or register a corporation or LLC? What is the tax benefits of doing this as an LLC? Beside the estate tax issue which he...

Taxes on Real Estate Sale [ 4 Answers ]

How much tax would a person have to pay on a sale of real estate in a "flip"? For example, let's say I bought a foreclosure house for $50,000 cash (no mortgage), and put $25,000 into it for repair/renovation (for a total expense of $75,000), then sold the house for $125,000 a few months later. I...

Need to be a broker to invest in real estate? [ 3 Answers ]

I want to give real estate a shot. Office job has become dull and boring nowadays. I just want to start it simple, but can I do it without a real estate broker license? Or, since I'm a resident of New York and being a real estate sales person is the 1-year pre-requisite to become a full-pledged...

View more questions Search