Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2007, 08:54 AM
    Electrons in a uniform electric field
    An electron travelling at a constant speed enters a uniform electric field at right angles to the field. While the electron is in the field it accelerates in a direction which is

A in the same direction as the electric field.
    B in the opposite direction to the electric field.
    C in the same direction as the motion of the electron.
    D in the opposite direction to the motion of the electron.

How do I tell what the answer is in a way that I can remember
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2007, 09:29 AM
    Well I would say it accelerates at a right angle to both the field and the motion of the electron. Which isn't any of your choices. Hmmmm.
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2007, 09:44 AM
    The answer is B but I'm looking for a way to explane the answer to me because I don't understand it fully, if you wouldn't mind having a look at my other physics qn
    BTA Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Apr 19, 2007, 03:25 PM
    An electric field is defined as a vector pointing from positive to negative. Here's a crude picture:

+|---->|-
    ^
    e

The left side is a positively charged plate, denoted "+" and the right side is a negatively charged plate, denoted "-". The arrow between the plates is the direction of the electric field and the electron is approaching the field from the bottom travelling "up" the page.

Remember that electrons are negatively charged. Electrical charges repel like charges and attract opposite charges, so the electron naturally wants to go towards the "+" sign. It would therefore accelerate AGAINST the field, or in the OPPOSITE direction of the field. Hence the answer is B.

There is no simple "trick" to remembering this - the best way is to understand the principles behind WHY it happens, and then you're set.

Hope this helps.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2007, 10:22 PM
    Apologies, I was thinking of a magnetic field :)
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2007, 01:32 PM
    Thanks
    BTA Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

May 30, 2007, 03:31 PM
    The more I think about it, it's actually a bit of a trick question since two answers are technically correct.

The electron will accelerate both against the electric field and opposite to the direction of its initial motion. Since the eletron's path will curve toward the "positive side" of the field, there will be two components of acceleration - tangential and normal.

I think the answer the question was looking for was b, but one could probably legitimately argue for d.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 31, 2007, 01:56 PM
    BTA: you are right about answer B, but I don't think your argument works for answer D. For the electron to accelerate toward the opposite direction, there must be a force acting in the opposite direction of its travel, and there isn't. As the electron accelerates toward the + plate it curves towards the + plate, and so one could argue that the acceleration is always toward the + plate (answer B), but as the electron curves there is a component along its velocity vector (answer C).
    haripriya Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2008, 12:35 AM
    Option 'b' Is The Correct Answer
    vaskalr Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Jan 31, 2008, 10:38 AM
    Definetely its answer is b

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

School Uniform Debate [ 27 Answers ]

I'm research a topic and would like to generate a bunch of arguments for data collection. Policy: Students in public, K-12 schools must wear school uniforms. Background: - Uniforms are uniquely designed for each school. (Think Japan) - Students must purchase their uniform from the school....

Electric Force and Electric Field? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Can some one explain to me briefly what's the different between electric force and electric field? I am having trouble to make them clear to myself. Thanks you so much. Jack

School Uniform Debate [ 2 Answers ]

Hey People, I was just wondering your opinion of whether school uniforms school should be compulsory? I’m doing it for a debate for school and I’m on the affirmative side. What do you think about this subject? :) Thanks!

Electrons and orbitals [ 2 Answers ]

OK I'm trying to do my chem hwk and it says bromine has 35 electrons and 4 orbitals... but you can't fit that many electrons in 4 orbitals I just don't understand plzz help!!

Small uniform design company looking for contracts. Please help. [ 1 Answers ]

Please help, We make uniforms of any kind loking for somebody Who will be intrested. And if you know how to contact city officials for a bid. Help with advice. [email protected]

View more questions Search