Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jonneyboimc Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2007, 08:02 AM
    Install Xp on a 2nd Hard drive for another computer!
    Well basical I brought this laptop for cheap which works but has no key board and the screen is cracked. (a bad combination I have just found out.)

Well the guy that sold it to wiped the hard drive before he gave it to me and now I can't insatll xp on it firstly because I can't use my usb keyboard on it, secondaly cause I can't see any thaing because I can't do the code to get it on an external screen..

Anyway to the question... Can I install xp on the laptops formated hdd, by putting it into my computer and running the disk.. and if so would I be able to just put the hard drive back into the laptop and it will start up to xp...

I know the answers is probably no but any suggestions on how to get this laptop working are welcomed!! Thanks in advanced JONNEY ;)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 15, 2007, 08:12 AM
    You actually paid money for a laptop with no keyboard and a cracked screen? Why?

You might be able to canabalize it for the hard drive and memory, but that's it.
    jonneyboimc Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2007, 09:44 AM
    I brought it thinking that I would be able to use it as a base unit.. so basically make it in to a desktop PC.. so that's it there is no way I can install any operating system on this laptop :(
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Apr 15, 2007, 03:31 PM
    Howdy:

In a nutshell, no. Even if you managed to remove the hdd and install Windows on it and then put it back it still wouldn't work as nothing on the hdd and registry would match the hardware profile of the broken laptop.

Also, why would you bother spending good money on another XP cd? :confused:

Murray

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect 2nd Hard Drive, from other Computer [ 3 Answers ]

I have Dell Dim2100 'XP' with Western Digital Hard Drive + 384Mb RAM. I have a Maxtor 19Gb Hard Drive from my earlier '98SE' which I want to use as Back-up/Storage, preferably internally but can't get it to locate as a secodary Drive using the IDE connection cable - is the solution an IDE/USB 2.0...

Adding 2nd Hard Drive [ 4 Answers ]

HP Pavilion - on connecting 2nd HD into PC and starting up - Refuses to boot up. The sequence gets as far as flashing the light on the DVD but goes no further (normally flashes floppy after DVD then continues the boot up). Have set jumpers at CS as recommended - tried Master and Slave settings...

2nd hard drive... [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there guys... I have 2 hard drives, I'm in the net so I know my PC can never be safe, I want to know how can I secure my 2nd drive from spy and viruses, so that if ever a virus gets in they only infect my primary drive... is there any free software for this, I want to prevent virus from...

Installing window's onto 2nd hard drive from a computer already running window's? [ 7 Answers ]

How do I Install window's onto 2nd hard drive from a computer already running window's? I fixing a computer for a friend and I need to reinstall windows onto his hard drive but that's all I have is the hard drive... I have 2 computers one running xp and one running me what would be the...

Cannot access my 2nd hard drive! [ 1 Answers ]

I was online when my computer froze up and I had to shut it down. Ever since I cannot access my additional hard drive. It appears in "My Computer" but when I try to open it I get the following error: "D:\ is not accessible. A device attached to the system is not functioning." Under the...

View more questions Search