Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimdods Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2016, 05:47 PM
    Contacts on my new pressure switch never move. Pump starts but shuts down after 20
    Is it mu [ump or my switch
    I just installed a new water pump for my well water. It starts and stops immediately. Contacts in switch doe not seem to move-closed all the time/ Any suggestions?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2016, 07:16 PM
    If the contacts are closed all the time, then power is going to the pump all the time, so plainly something is wrong. Three things:

1. Is this pump a submerged pump or above ground?
    2. Why did you replace the old one?
    3. Take a voltmeter and check to be sure you are getting power to the pump when the points are closed. If not, then check to be sure you are getting power to the switch. If that is the case, then turn off the power and use an emory board to file the points a few strokes each, and then check the pump for power again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace shuts down starts only after off switch [ 3 Answers ]

Our Furnace comes on and only runs for a minute or so... the first fan comes on and it sounds like water in the fan... we have a humidifier on side... then the blower fan comes on and it only runs for a few minutes.it doesn't get up to the tempter we set it too.( tried both.digital themo and old...

Water pump turns off pressure contacts remain closed [ 10 Answers ]

I was first alerted to a problem when no water was available at spigots. I checked the pressure gauge which had 0 pressure. Iturned off power to the pumping system. I looked at the pressure control switch to find that the points were in the cosed position. I turned the power back on and could tell...

Two contacts at well pump pressure control switch one contact is burned? [ 3 Answers ]

Our water tank pressure got low and the well pump pressure control switch did not come on. After checking it out I tapped the pressure control switch (PCS) and it came on and shut off normally, however, looking at the contacts in the PCS I noticed that the contacts that the two wires were hooked up...

Pressure switch contacts closed, but pump doesn't run (intermitent) [ 10 Answers ]

I pump lawn irrigation water from a lake, using a Sta-Rite 2 hp pump with a Sta-Rite 40 gal. bladder tank. The system was installed in 1999. The pickup in the lake is about 30 ft horizontal, 6-8 ft vertical, from the pump. It has a stainer, no filter, and a check valve. Both have been replaced as...

Pressure switch contacts burnt [ 4 Answers ]

One set of points on my pressure switch continue to arc and get burned to the point that they no longer make proper contact and my well pump shuts down. I clean them up and the pump continues to operate for about 3-4 days and then the problem repeats. The pressure also surges continuously. This...

View more questions Search