Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bmw1025 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2016, 02:49 PM
    Installing 3 -4 way dimmer light switch
    I want to install a dimmer switch in my bathroom. I have a 2 gang set up that controls 2 sets of lights. Each gang has 2 black wires and 1 copper wire. The dimmer switch that I want to install has 2 red wires, 1 green wire and 1 black wire. Which wires are supposed to connect with which? Does anyone have any idea how to install this? Thanks!
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 2, 2016, 08:08 AM
    Generally, the electrical connections for the switch are either on the box or in the box for the switch.

Van you give us some more information regarding the model of the switch and the manufacturer of the switch, please.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2016, 10:08 AM
    Wiring on the switch you noted indicates it can be used for single or 3 way. Wiring diagram should be onbox. You will use 2 wires on single, all 3 on 3 way. HD has plenty, look at a switch there. Can't remember 3 way but for single pole, one red and 1 black.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing dimmer switch [ 11 Answers ]

I am installing a dimmer switch in a few of my bedrooms and when I unscrewed the old switch there were three black wires, all three of them attached to the switch. My question is, is one of the black wires the ground wire. One is separate from the other two. Can anyone help if you understand what I...

Installing a dimmer switch [ 15 Answers ]

I have a question about installing a dimmer switch... OK, let me explain what I see in my "old" switch box... Three wires (Red, Black, White) (enclosed in a white sheathing) are coming into the top of the box... they go up to my light fixture. The RED is connected to the top screw terminal...

Installing Light-Fan Dimmer Switch [ 9 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan and recessed lights in my living room, whenturning on the light switch everything comes on. I purchased a dimmer switch to control lights and ceiling fan separate. I have some electrical knowledge, but I guess not enough, Please help. Thanks

Installing a fan/light switch dimmer [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I installed a harbor bay ceiling fan and light. Initially the lights did work, but not the fan, so we reconnected the wires for the fan and once we did that we had the fan working but then no lights. (This is inside the fan/light box itself, not on wall) When I went to install a new...

View more questions Search