Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2007, 07:17 AM
    density, radius and g
    The earth has density rho(p) and radius R. the gravitational field strength at the surface is g. what is the gfs at the surface of a planet of density 2p and radius 2R.
    A g
    B 2g
    C 4g
    D 16g

what is the equation I would use to solve this
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 17, 2007, 04:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by albear
    The earth has density rho(p) and radius R. the gravitational field strength at the surface is g. what is the gfs at the surface of a planet of density 2p and radius 2R.
    A g
    B 2g
    C 4g
    D 16g

what is the equation i would use to solve this
    The general expression for gravitational force of attraction between two bodies is GMm/R^2, where G is the gravitational constant, M and m are the masses of the two bodies, and R is the distance betweentheir centers of gravity. Applied to determine the weight of a body at the surface of the earth, G, M (mass of the earth) and R (radius of the earth) are constant. Hence we express the weight of the body at the surface of the earth as g*m, so g is equal to GM/R^2.

Does this help?
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2007, 08:11 AM
    thank you for answering, yes it does help but I should have been more specific when asking what equation to use, I was referring to how do I link density (p) to Gm so that I can then try to solve the question. Do you know how I can relate them ?
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Apr 18, 2007, 08:25 AM
    mass=density * volume
    therefore, mass is directly proportional to density
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2007, 08:33 AM
    OK so g=G(p*v)/R^2 right so therefore if p and R were both *2 then the 2s would cancel out giving g as the answer right?

Apr 18, 2007, 08:34 AM
    I think the difference in r that would be in the v will have an effect also
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2007, 08:36 AM
    ? I'm sorry I don't quite understand that

Apr 18, 2007, 08:38 AM

I think this is right.
    Can you see how the extra radius increased the mass substantially while simultaneously decreasing the field strength?
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2007, 09:00 AM
    4/3piR^3 is the volume of a sphere but yes I can see the reason why now it's the inverse square law thanks (on the second to last line of working there is a mistake in
    2p(4/3)pi8R^3=16p(4/3)pi8R3) so g=Gm/R2 but m=g*V and V=(4/3)piR3. Thank you for your help

Apr 18, 2007, 09:38 AM
    Thanks for catching the mistake! I've fixed it now. Let me know if you need any more help with this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Setting up Mesh network to cover 5 km radius [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I wish to setup a mesh Wi-fi network, to cover a area of about 5 sq km. I have about 150 clients who will be connecting to this mesh network. Any solution for this?

Radius for Arched Doorway [ 8 Answers ]

I am trying to properly lay out an arched doorway and can not seem to get this... what I do know is as follows.. the two side walls are 8'9" from the floor to the bottom point of the arch...from a center point between these two vertical lines taking a vertical measurement from the horizontal...

Density question pelvis [ 12 Answers ]

can anyone help me figure out what this means? This is an x-ray result. 4mm density overlying the right pelvis. While I doubt this is due to a PHLEBOLITH, this cannot be entirely excluded. What is a phlebolith. Thanks

Converting Density [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to help someone out with their homework and I've managed to help her with all kinds of metric conversions. But now I am stuck. The problem is convert 5.3 kg/L to g/cm^3 That's 5.3 kilograms per liter to grams per centimeter cubed.

View more questions Search