Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JohnsPop Posts: 99, Reputation: 2

Sep 20, 2016, 08:52 AM
    Drilling holes in a concrete floor
    I'm trying to drill 1/2" holes in a concrete basement floor in a 70 year old house. I don't think I'm hitting rebar, but not sure. I can't *see* rebar down in the holes, but I can't get much more than an inch in the floor. I've got a pilot bit and a 1/4" bit down a couple inches but I can't get the 1/2" drill in there for the life of me. I've tried 6 different holes in 2 different locations of the basement with no luck. The first time I was near the foundation, so I thought I was hitting rebar. Now I've drilled out near the middle of the floor, but I can't get through there either. I'm using Dewalt carbide hammer drill bits and a Makita 1/2" hammer drill. Is there some trick to this or something I'm doing wrong? I've drill into concrete millions of times, but I can't get into this floor for anything. Any tips? Thanks.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2016, 01:51 PM
    Not sure of your problem but I doubt rebar. I have a D shank Bosch hammer drill and I have drilled any number of holes from 1/8 to to 3/4" without any issue. Make sure you have the dial set to "H" and the bit is all the way in.
    JohnsPop Posts: 99, Reputation: 2

Mar 1, 2017, 01:41 PM
    Ended up drilling small hole and busting it with a star drill. Rinse and repeat, then finished up with my 1/2" drill. Just took a lot of patience. Yep, the floor was just that hard.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2017, 09:02 AM
    If it happens again, sometimes you can see filings, or a magnet in the hole.
    I have also seen very tough concrete, wondered if it was a very hard stone, or just the concrete? Good you got it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drilling Holes [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a trick in marking a surface where to drill holes. Like the enclosed picture of a door knocker. Do you coat it with lipstick And press it against the door, so the drill holes line up for the screws In the right position coming from the other-side of the door?

Drilling holes in concrete slab for termite prevention [ 0 Answers ]

My 2-storey house sits on a concrete slab. I am considering having some preventive work done for termites. The termite control companies I have contacted have suggested that they drill holes (small dia.) in a few places in the concrete slab to inject foam/prevention chemicals. I have a few...

Drilling Toilet Drain through concrete floor [ 1 Answers ]

I am renovating my 1930 Craftsman Bungalow (small) bathroom. The toilet drain is too far away from the original wall for a modern toilet to sit without having about a 5-6 inch gap behind it. The previous owner renovated once before and built out the wall to use a modern toilet on the old toilet...

Drilling holes in floor joist [ 5 Answers ]

Hi ,I want to move a 3" abs ventpipe in a floor space. The floor joists are 2X10 and near the supporting wall .Can I drill the joist? Do I need to use plywood or 2X10 to sister the floor joist to make up for the weakening .thanks bman55golf

Drilling holes [ 2 Answers ]

I need to drill a4" vent hole for a water heater in side of my house to connect the venting. What is the best drill to use and any avice on problems imight run into?

View more questions Search