Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RDFG Posts: 37, Reputation: 4

Sep 15, 2016, 08:15 AM
    Tax Exempt
    I am a business providing a service in the state of Fl.
    My customer is also a business providing a service in the state of Fl.
    He is from another country and he claims his company is tax exempt.
    To my understanding When providing a service in FL. If there are any parts/ supplies/ materials used with the service, I am supposed to charge tax on entire bill including the labor.
    He disputes this continuously.
    Am I correct or is there something I am missing?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 15, 2016, 10:21 AM
    You are correct. If he is buying in the state of Florida and providing a service in the state of Florida, and having those items shipped to a warehouse in Florida, then he has to pay applicable taxes same as everyone else. However, if you were to ship your goods to a foreign country, then taxes, aside from duty and any taxes applicable to that duty, would not be charged.

Sep 15, 2016, 10:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    You are correct. If he is buying in the state of Florida and providing a service in the state of Florida, and having those items shipped to a warehouse in Florida, then he has to pay applicable taxes same as everyone else. However, if you were to ship your goods to a foreign country, then taxes, aside from duty and any taxes applicable to that duty, would not be charged.

There is no shipping of any parts to or from the customer. He has a boat rental company in Florida. I have a boat maintenance company in which I care for his boats. Structure & mechanical.
    He feels he does not have to pay taxes on any of the invoices. States he is tax exempt.
    Expert

Sep 15, 2016, 11:26 AM
    No he isn't tax exempt if he is running a business and you are providing services for him. Does he have all of the appropriate business licenses in place ? If not, then he is running a business illegally.

You should know that you can ask your accountant if this is corrrect, or your business lawyer. Even if you have to pay a lawyer's fee for this information, and a letter sent to him confirming it, it is better then getting stiffed for the money.

Sep 15, 2016, 12:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    No he isn't tax exempt if he is running a business and you are providing services for him. Does he have all of the appropriate business licenses in place ? If not, then he is running a business illegally.

You should know that you can ask your accountant if this is correct, or your business lawyer. Even if you have to pay a lawyer's fee for this information, and a letter sent to him confirming it, it is better then getting stiffed for the money.
    Yes, as far as I know he is legal just very confused. Thinking that he is exempt from all tax's. I have contacted my accountant and she is sending him the information he needs to clarify this. Thank you for your time!
    Expert

Sep 15, 2016, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RDFG View Post
    Yes, as far as I know he is legal just very confused. Thinking that he is exempt from all tax's. I have contacted my accountant and she is sending him the information he needs to clarify this. Thank you for your time!
    Good ! Anytime. We are here, it is, I think, one of the best sites on the internet for this type of assistance.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 15, 2016, 12:29 PM
    Anyone in any of the 50 states who claims to be tax exempt has to provide a tax exempt ID.
    The US does have tax treaty exemptions with several countries, but he has to provide the proper documentation, an EIN and W-8BEN, W-8ECI, W-8EXP, or W-8IMY, as appropriate.
    Just curious - what country is his business in?

Sep 15, 2016, 12:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Anyone in any of the 50 states who claims to be tax exempt has to provide a tax exempt ID.
    The US does have tax treaty exemptions with several countries, but he has to provide the proper documentation, an EIN and W-8BEN, W-8ECI, W-8EXP, or W-8IMY, as appropriate.
    Just curious - what country is his business in?
    His & My business are in the state of Florida. USA He is From Germany
    Expert

Sep 15, 2016, 01:00 PM
    [QUOTE=joypulv;3781633]Anyone in any of the 50 states who claims to be tax exempt has to provide a tax exempt ID.
    Just curious - what country is his business

You are confusing this. He is operating out of Florida, so he has to pay applicable taxes.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 15, 2016, 01:04 PM
    I'm not confused. He can have an entity in the US and be registered in another country. This is common in the boating related trades. Notice all the Panama flags, every time you are on the ocean?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 15, 2016, 02:31 PM
    The key here is what Joy said. If he is tax exempt then he should have a certificate to prove it. No certificate, no tax exemption. It is as simple as that.
    Expert

Sep 15, 2016, 03:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I'm not confused. He can have an entity in the US and be registered in another country. This is common in the boating related trades. Notice all the Panama flags, every time you are on the ocean?
    No didn't say you were confused

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

J1 tax treaty US germany: what if they have paid me the tax exempt but I stayed >2yr [ 44 Answers ]

I am a postdoctoral research fellow at Harvard. I am on a J1 visa and I entered the US a little more than 2 years ago. Filing my taxes for 2007, I thought I wouldn't stay longer than 2 years therefore I claimed the tax exempt and the state returned all federal taxes to me that I had paid up until...

Are H1B science researchers TAX EXEMPT under US-India Tax Treaty? <EDITED> [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, please find below my quick summary: Aug 2011 - Aug 2013 = F1 student visa Aug 2013 - Aug 2014 = F1 OPT For the year 2014: Jan 2014 - Aug 25 2014 = F1 OPT Aug 26 2014 - Dec 31 2014 = H1B I am working as a researcher at the University of Colorado, Denver.

Do you pay a city tax when you are tax exempt in Virginia? [ 2 Answers ]

I work for a company and we are tax exempt. What I need to know is do we pay a city tax when we go to a hotel? Thanks, S-L

J1 to F1: am I exempt from taxes via US-UK tax treaty for my second tax year? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a British graduate student in California. I was a J1 intern in the US from August 2007-July 2008, and have been a F1 graduate student from August 2008-present. In the 2007 tax year I was exempt from certain taxes under the US-UK tax treaty. I am aware that the exemption lasts for...

View more questions Search