Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jingelido Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2016, 05:37 AM
    Help finding a trucking company that hires sex offenders with 10 year old conviction
    Are there any trucking companies that will hire me with a 10 year old attempted sex offense? I am not on parole or probation, and I come off sex offender registration Jan 2017. Thanks in advance for any help provided.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 10, 2016, 06:20 AM
    You will just have to apply , apply and apply. I would start with the small regional companies and even local haulers. The issue is not if they will, the question is would they. Even if they are allowed to hire felons. Sex offenses are viewed very poorly by most HR and owners of companies.

Sep 10, 2016, 06:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    You will just have to apply , apply and apply. I would start with the small regional companies and even local haulers. The issue is not if they will, the question is would they. Even if they are allowed to hire felons. Sex offenses are viewed very poorly by most HR and owners of companies.
    Thanks FR Chuck.

Carolina Cargo has offered to hire me. Team driving only. Do you have any insight to this company?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 10, 2016, 06:45 AM
    Talk to your probation officer.

Sep 10, 2016, 06:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Talk to your probation officer.
    Thanks. But not on probation or parole and offender registration ends January 2017
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2016, 10:43 AM
    Hello J:

You're not gonna get a job if all your prospective employer has is an application or a resume.. You DON'T look good on paper.. That does't mean you don't look good in person.. Therefore, I'd apply ONLY at those mom and pop shops where I could actually TALK to the owner.

Even if your registration requirement ends in a few months, you'll STILL have to explain your arrest record.. So, in terms of finding a job, I don't see anything changing in January..

Yes, it's gonna take a lot of legwork.. So?

excon
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2016, 05:28 PM
    If you can get started with Carolina Cargo, go for it. They are one company that will make the decision individually, and getting time on the road will be one of your greatest benefits.

Some major OTR companies may hire you 5 to 10 years after conviction depending on the circumstances ( obtaining insurance becomes an issue in trucking), but another major factor will be actual time behind the wheel... with many wanting a year OTR minimum.

Do you already have a CDL? That can be another hurdle, but not impossible. However it can be costly if you have to obtain it on your own.

If you want to drive, and Carolina Cargo will take you on, that's a good way to get into it, then be sure to avoid any other issues that could ding your criminal record as well as your driving record. Keep it all by the book, even if others around you might not.

It will serve you well should you want to try to get in with a bigger company, or even consider becoming an owner operator, down the road.
    juanawin3898 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2017, 05:36 PM
    I just wanted to say thanks for your words of advice. I am starting school June 5th 2017 and I have been searching every where for a driving job. I decided to knock on doors. I have to companies in NC and SC I will be visiting next week. I put together a portfolio to present who I really am. This is my trial run and I know I look and present myself better in person. If you have any leads let me know I will travel to get that job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What truck company hires with 1 owi? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi what truck companies hire with owi

Cdl paid by company that hires felons [ 2 Answers ]

My felony was seven years &five month ago can anybody help me

Finding Employment After Conviction [ 29 Answers ]

My son got into a fight with my husband and was convicted of Domestic Violence. He had to go to jail for four months. Now he is having a hard time finding a job even though the conviction was a misdomeanor, since it was his first conviction. He is also Bipolar, we just found out, because he...

Trucking company [ 8 Answers ]

How Do I Start My Own Trucknig Company?. any Tips?. or Suggestions?

View more questions Search