Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    todd2016 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2016, 05:46 PM
    Soap Making With Galvanized Bin
    Hi,

We are going to get into the soap business, and already own a large steel bin to make the soap, but unfortunately it is galvanized. One of the key ingredients in soap making is the lye, and it apparently would react with the zinc coating on the bin, which would be bad. We are on a budget, and were thinking if we coated the bin with a epoxy paint or some sort of coating(as buying a stainless steel bin would be very expensive), then we could use the bin for the soap making.

Our question is, what type of coating would you recommend to paint or coat the bin with that is inexpensive, that would prevent the lye in the process from reacting with the bin, or the coating for that matter? Thank you for your assistance.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 8, 2016, 07:10 PM
    No, you will need proper equipment. Also do not forget about license, insurance and so on. Including the recent years of regulations on what is, and what is not soap and required labels.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2016, 07:57 PM
    Possibly an epoxy based enamel. I would shop the poultry, paint and chemical supply yards, there are loads of scrapped SS tanks. Lye, Sodium Hydroxide, and zinc also form hydrogen, an explosive gas-- Zn+2 H2O + 2 NaOH= Na2Zn(OH)4 + H2
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 9, 2016, 09:40 AM
    If you are going to get into this business, do it properly with the right equipment. Anything you make will have to be passed by the FDA and they will frown on improper equipment used to make a product that is supposed to be hygienically safe for the human body.

There red are many recipes for soap without the use of lye.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Procedures in making pineapple soap [ 2 Answers ]

Last month, I and my group decided to pick "Pineapple skin extract as soap" as our I.P title yet we are unaware of the things that might come our way. We are planning to conduct an experiment tomorrow using the procedures that we guess will work.We have separate procedures for our ingredients: ...

My Moen soap dispenser doesn't pump soap. Is there a seal inside? [ 8 Answers ]

I just moved into this house, so I don't know if it was taken apart previously.

Can I use Diana Stalder Glutathione soap and the black soap together? [ 12 Answers ]

OK I'm trying to put a new regiment together for even but slightly lighter skin tone. This is what I have. Diana Stalder Glutathione soap Diana Stalder black soap Diana Stalder Kojic acid cream Glycolic cream 15% Moisturizer with SPF30

Lye in Soap making [ 1 Answers ]

Hey everyone, Does anyone know what is the molarity of the lye used in soap making? I can't find it anywhere, I'm interested in making up my own lye solution from sodium hydroxide pellets, please help me if you can. Thanks :)

View more questions Search