Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rahulkn Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2007, 11:54 PM
    Filed 1040EZ. Is it the correct form? Do I need to file a 1040NR instead?
    Hello.
    I filed my returns and now I have a dilemma about my forms.
    Let me put everything here.

Current status: H1-B, : status started from October 1st : but got a job only in December. The December pay is received in Jan.
    So no W2 on my H1.

Previous status: Initially F1. Then, OPT started from Dec 17th, 2006. Was on my OPT till my H1 started.

Unfortunately did not work on my OPT at all. So no W2 on my OPT.

But on my F1, the December 2005 pay is paid in January 2006 and I received a W2 for that wages. My state does not have state tax. So only need to claim the Federal tax withheld.

I used a 1040EZ for filing my returns.
    Now I have a doubt if I still qualify to claim my returns using 1040NR instead of 1040EZ.
    also what about the dual status thing, I'm not sure if come under that categ. :(

I already filed my returns and now am totally confused on how to proceed further.
    Do I need to wait for the IRS to process my refund? Or do I need to send the form 1040X with 1040NR? Or is the form 1040EZ sent the correct one.

Please help.
    Thanks in advance.
    -Rahul
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Apr 15, 2007, 10:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rahulkn
    Hello.
    I filed my returns and now i have a dilemma about my forms.
    Let me put everything here.

Current status: H1-B, : status started from October 1st : but got a job only in December. the december pay is received in Jan.
    So no W2 on my H1.

Previous status: Initially F1. Then, OPT started from Dec 17th, 2006. Was on my OPT till my H1 started.

Unfortunately did not work on my OPT at all. So no W2 on my OPT.

But on my F1, the December 2005 pay is paid in January 2006 and I received a W2 for that wages. My state does not have state tax. So only need to claim the Federal tax withheld.

I used a 1040EZ for filing my returns.
    Now I have a doubt if I still qualify to claim my returns using 1040NR instead of 1040EZ.
    also what about the dual status thing, I'm not sure if come under that categ. :(

I already filed my returns and now am totally confused on how to proceed further.
    Do I need to wait for the IRS to process my refund? or do I need to send the form 1040X with 1040NR? or is the form 1040EZ sent the correct one.

Please help.
    Thanks in advance.
    -Rahul

It's really hard to follow what you are saying. I presume you mean your OPT began in 2005 and then your H1-B began October 2006? If your F1 began no earlier than 2002, then it would seem from the information given that you are a NR for the full year in 2006. If that is not the case and your F1 began earlier than 2002, then you would appear to be a resident.

Apr 15, 2007, 04:34 PM
    Hello Texas Tax Expert,
    Thank you for the response.

My F1 started in Jan-2004
    OPT started from Dec,2005
    H1 started from Oct, 2006

Also I would like to know if I filled the correct form or not?
    Also shall I wait for my refund to e processed? Or do I need to fill in the correct form along with 1040X and send them before the due date?(April 17th)
    Or can I do this next year with my 2007 tax returns.

Please help me out.

Thanks,
    Rahul.

Apr 15, 2007, 06:11 PM
    You should definitely be filing as a non-resident so you should have filed a 1040NR. If you are married you could wait a little bit and then elect to file as a resident with your spouse for all of 2006 (this would mean a 1040 is appropriate).

At this point though, you have filed the wrong thing and yes you will need to file a 1040X and amend your return.

Apr 15, 2007, 06:15 PM
    Dear Texas Tax Expert,
    Do I need to file it before the current deadline,i.e.. April 17th or Can I wait till my refund gets processed and do it with the next year tax filings?
    Please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Rahul.

Apr 15, 2007, 06:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rahulkn
    Dear Texas Tax Expert,
    Do I need to file it before the current deadline,ie., April 17th or Can I wait till my refund gets processed and do it with the next year tax filings?
    Please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Rahul.
    If you will owe tax, I'd file it as soon as possible. It seems if you filed as a resident but really are a non-resident, your tax might be a little higher.

Apr 15, 2007, 11:05 PM
    I don't think I owe any tax. My question is, Is April 17th the deadline to amend my currently filed return?
    Or do I have some time on hand?
    Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 20, 2007, 12:07 PM
    If you owe no additional tax, then take your time to amend the return. You have about three years to claim an additional refund.

If you OWE additional tax and have not filed the amendment by April 17th, then you will owe the tax PLUS interest PLUS a penalty of 5% of the tax owed per month late.

Apr 20, 2007, 10:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    If you owe no additional tax, then take your time to amend the return. You have about three years to claim an additional refund.

If you OWE additional tax and have not filed the amendment by April 17th, then you will owe the tax PLUS interest PLUS a penalty of 5% of the tax owed per month late.

Hello ATE,
    Thank you for the response.
    -Rgds.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 21, 2007, 06:01 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have filed 1040EZ instead of 1040NR [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am from India and I came to USA in 3rd Nov 2006.I am currently staying in North Carolina. I filled the federal as well as state tax return.I got the refund from state tax agency.For Federal tax return came to know that I filled with 1040EZ instead of 1040NR.Also there is an amount under...

I used the 1040ez instead of 1040nr-ez form, among other things [ 2 Answers ]

hi all I worked summer in yellowstone through a summer work and travel program conducted by CIEE (Council on International Education Exchange) and Speedwing Travel (a local travel agency). I was on a j1 visa working 4 months in summer 2006. I received my w-2 forms on time in feb 07. I...

I filed a form 1040EZ instead of 1040NR. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a J1 visa and came from Korea. I had a CPA agent do my taxes of 2004. I found out that he made a mistake and sent in the wrong form. My agent sent in a form 1040EZ form; however he should have used a form 1040NR form. Because I worked in U.S. for 3 months in 2004, I was refunded all...

Filed 1040 in 2005 instead of 1040NR: Which form should be filed for 2006? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I came to the US in Fall 04 and since then have been continuously on an F-1 student visa. I filed form 1040NR-EZ for 2004, but for 2005 I hired a CPA who (without informing me) filed a 1040 on my behalf. In there, he claimed an education credit (or something to that effect) which effectively...

J1 / Q1 wrong tax form filed?What is the correct one? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question regarding my tax filing. I came to the US in 2004 on a Q1 visa and filed my taxes on 1040-EZ. The next year in 2005 I was on a J1-visa and also filed my taxes on 1040-EZ. Now, for 2006 I am still on a J1-visa and wanted to file again for 1040-EZ, however this is the...

View more questions Search