Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    retsamelddir Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2016, 01:41 PM
    Didn't know I was pregnant took vitamin c
    My period was late (obviously) and a friend told me high doses of vitamin c can encourage it. She told me recommended dose was 6,000mg for a couple days. Well Im super tiny so took half that on day one and a 1000 on day 3. I started spotting , it stopped, gush of blood like I started so thought that was it but it stopped, another gush next day stopped, very light spotting day 4. well I know that's not my period which is what prompted the test and it was positive. I Google vitamin c and pregnancy ( I know should have done first ) and see it causes miscarriages. Now this positive was after bleeding stopped so I assume I'm still pregnant but will the baby be OK? Will it have problems? Please answer will call dr in am
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 31, 2016, 05:39 PM
    First your friend is stupid and you need to have better sense.

If there was gush of blood, most likely you are not now pregnant. How do you know you were to start with ? A positive test ?

You also need to worry about you, that excessive dose can cause kidney problems and even teeth issues. If you are still pregnant, you need to discuss this with your doctor.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2016, 06:04 PM
    Keep in mind that Google is not always the best source for information. Anyone can create a website and you will often see information repeated from one site to another. This does not make it fact or researched based.

The amount you took was slightly above, then even below the limit considered to be a potential concern... and that would be mega dosing over a period of time.

Some spotting, and even bleeding, may sometimes occur in early pregnancy. While you should see your doctor or midwife about it, it isn't automatically a problem. It happens, and a pregnancy can continue just fine. The reason will be determined.

Saying that, miscarriage can be a possibility even with a positive test result right after as it takes a little time for the hcg level to drop low enough to no longer register a pregnancy. Again why you should be checked. Your doctor may suggest an early scan and blood work... which may be repeated in a week or so depending on results.

I wish you well!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Didn't know I was pregnant [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I'm 22 weeks pregnant but I'm concerned because in the beginning I didn't know I was pregnant and I smoked method twice and I was wondering if my baby is going to come method positive?

Did I just miscarry? Didn't even know I was pregnant? [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, so this is weird. January 22nd I had a spontaneous abortion. I bled for a bit and stopped. March 10th I had what I thought was my period, lasted two days. First day was a lot of clots, huge. Second day was light bleeding. Anyway, yesterday I woke with some spotting. I felt so nauseous and had...

Allergic reaction to taking vitamin e and vitamin c [ 18 Answers ]

I have been taking for about 3 weeks 400iu vitamin e and 1000 mg vitamin c. I have han an allergic reaction on my back chest an arms of little red bumps an blotchy spots. How can I treat this at home, have no insurance?

Vitamin C content in vitamin C tablets [ 3 Answers ]

I will be provided with a 0.1% DCPIP solution and have to find Vitamin C content of different Vitamin C tablets.. Normally they contain 1000mg vitamin C which is 1g... And the vitamin c content can be determined by titration with DCPIP solution but how do I make up a equal 0.1& solution of...

View more questions Search