Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidadrian140 Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Aug 29, 2016, 06:42 PM
    Electric vs. gas heating
    Good evening. I am thinking of installing electric heating instead of water radiators in my home. I live in Chicago, IL. Where winters are cold. Can anyone tell me what type of electric heating system would work for me? I would like to do the whole house.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2016, 06:45 PM
    Its going to be expensive... REALLY expensive to heat the house with electric... I would reconsider using anything but that.

electric is cheap upfront to install, its the operating costs that kill you.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2016, 08:13 PM
    Chicago would be terrible for electric heat. What benefit do you see?
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 30, 2016, 06:13 AM
    Installation cost are just the beginning of your research as the cost of heating with gas/electric is higher in the midwest than the national average. Don't know if you are into charts and data, but both these links clearly point out how expensive heating costs can be where you are. A simple call to your energy companies that serves your location and getting a best price per therm quote for electric, gas, or a combination of both will bear that out.

Average Energy Prices, Chicago-Gary-Kenosha ? June 2016 : Midwest Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Average Energy Prices for the U.S. and Selected Metropolitan Areas : Midwest Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Make at least 3 calls to 3 different companies if that many are available to have something to compare to your current energy costs. Also have a FREE energy audit of your home from a large energy supplier/heating systems contractors, before you spend a dime to convert, which includes the efficiency of your present system. Having experienced the sometimes brutal midwestern winter heating costs most of my life in the Chicagoland area, I can tell you to do your homework and research/review all your options before you make a decision.

A big drafty house is a big expense no matter what you heat it with, more so in the WINDY City where the "HAWK" is RELENTLESS.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 30, 2016, 09:41 AM
    MUCH better to replace your older radiators with small-tubed ones. I bought Runtals for my parents house. Expensive European brand, but worth every penny.
    There are cheaper HW options you can explore, from baseboard to American made small tube radiators.
    You may also want to have a boiler that is smaller and runs more often, rather than the old method of big boilers and fat radiators that ran less often. You can even reduce the size of the boiler by lining it and save money on that too.
    The efficiency is greater nowadays, and cheaper, and the heat is more even.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 30, 2016, 06:52 PM
    Heating a home in Chicago with electricity is not a good option. ComEd is way too high. What is the issue with your boiler?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Covrting to electric heating from gas [ 8 Answers ]

How much does it cost to convert gas heating to electric. Do u need a whole new furnace or can the old one be changed over

Changing from Gas to Electric Heating [ 4 Answers ]

I want to change my water heater, my air conditioning, and my stove from gas to electric. What will that involve and what is the cost?

Electric or gas, which is a cheaper heating utility [ 1 Answers ]

Which would be more cost effective heating a space with gas heat or electric heat. I'm not asking for heat pump information, just heating element.

Cost of converting electric heating to gas heating [ 2 Answers ]

I am buying a house with electric heat. I have heard it can be a lot more expensive than gas. What would be the cost of converting the house to gas heating and a/c?

Electric heating to gas heating conversion [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, I am new to the site and wanted to know if anyone could assist me with a general quote for electric heating to gas heating conversion on one floor of a three story apartment building. Here are the specifics: 1000 square foot area; 8 rooms; 6 electric baseboards. Thanks.

View more questions Search